• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/72 scale Academy Me 163S in-progress

Thanks chukw!

To me an overweathered model is worse than one with no weathering at all and aircraft like the Komet are tough to try and add weathering to them without going over the top since they were so well maintained and had a limited service life. :idonno

Matrixone

Moon Puppy,
Good point, after the landing skids are on both models they will be given some scuff marks on the landing skids on the fuselage and hard points on the wings undersurfaces.

I have been re-reading my Classic Publications book on the Me 163 and one of the complaints about this aircraft was the paint would start to come off after high speed flight, also there were complaints about the fit of the canopy and rough surface of the fuselage which caused a loss of performance on some aircraft...maybe some light paint chipping would be in order here. :hmmm

Matrixone

My apologies for not posting sooner. Matrix, it's great to see you building again. These birds are outstanding! Way to go and keep those pics coming!

After twp years at watching you build p[lanes and making them loos like they are real 1/1. I have run out of adjectives to tell you what I think of your stuff. Just plain fantastic. Ill just give you tacos and beer from now on. :ro: (y)

Thanks Duke, James, and Paul!

Duke,
With so many people with new builds its hard to keep track of them all. :)

Paul,
The Me 163s are okay but what nobody has yet seen is my 1/48 scale what-if and it will be my worst model in years...the kit itself was bad but just about everything that can go wrong with a model has happened to this one. :sick: Not sure if I will even bother to post pics of it. :blush:

The Me 163 models are nearly finished and am working on the Me 163 transport vehicle right now, I should have pictures of these models by next week.

Matrixone

The Komets are now finished, I will wait until the transport vehicle is also finished to get final pics of the finished models. Unlike the rest of the country we still are getting plenty of rain and cool weather here which makes getting outside to take pictures of the models difficult.

Here is a test pic of the HobbyBoss easy assembly Me 163 taken in low light conditions.

402818906.jpg

Matrixone

Thanks Moon Puppy!

The Me 163 transport vehicle should be done later today and maybe pics of it will soon follow. The kit of the transport vehicle is really simple and quick to build but much of my time on this model has been spent
trying to find unpublished photographs of them, I did locate a photograph that had one of the transport vehicles in a scrapyard in post war Germany and chose to paint my model in a similar camouflage pattern.

My 1/48 scale Bv 55 is now finished and I should have some pics of it posted later today.

Matrixone

Should you find some pictures of the transporter with all three wheels on it , I could trully appreciate you sharing them .

Cheers, Christian B)

Christian,
I did not save the photograph of the Me 163 transport vehicle, I spotted the photograph on one the of veteran sites. The photograph was of an aircraft graveyard with smashed up aircraft parts and in the background was the remains of a Me 163 transport vehicle minus its wheels. What was interesting about this one was the additional camouflage paint, my reference books that do have photographs of the Me 163 transport vehicle show them to be painted in a single color that is thought to be dark yellow. So far the best reference book(s) I have found on the Me 163 is the two volume set from Classic Publications, it has some great photographs of the transport vehicle.

A great resource for free reference photographs is e-bay and WWII veteran websites, there are some neat things you can come across from time to time. (y)

Matrixone

Thanks Phil . Big help. I would like to build one in 1/72 scale since none of the manufacturers have ever offered the three wheeled version. Seems as though it would have been easy to offer the parts to make it possible :vmad .

They have not been very accurate anyway :S Guess it's just as well .

Cheers, Christian B)

I have the CMK kit but in 1/48 scale, option to make it two or three wheel version

instruction sheet
http://www.cmkkits.com/en/detail-sets-accessories/schleuch-schlepper-for-me-163b/

and this seems available - 1/72

http://www.cmkkits.com/en/aircraft/messerschmitt-me-163a-with-scheuch-schlepper/

Thanks Martin!

Looks like I will get rained out the next couple of days so the pics of the finished model will be delayed.

Matrixone

Well, Heller, Acedemy and MPM have all included a tow vehicle with their 1/72 kits but I have yet to see the 3 wheeled version in this scale. Would love to as it would be easier than scratching the back end .

Cheers, Christian B)

Back