• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/72 Airmodel Vought F-8 Crusader III

Rhino

Super Moderator
:bang head I realize, that the model-sickness is greater in some, than in others. I'm still dinking with the ReHab F-8E, then Lo! I find Chuck's started Crusader III. I must be officted in a way even I don't truly comprehend. I think our USAF brethren may have put it best, on their Anti-SAM squadron patch. this is gonna take a while, so please be kind to me. YGBSM!! See?!?!
15_July_14_Crusader_III_4.JPG

I've removed the basic, scratchbuilt Cockpit, in favor of the CMK set. The Crusader III had an improved radar, different from the F-8E, so taht's no use, and Chuck already had a Vac Canopy for this Ship, so Here wE go!!
15_July_14_Crusader_III_1.JPG

I've drilled the rear fuselage, to accomodate a brass tube for the Vac stabilators & brass wire Chuck made.
I considered the white metal seat. There is already a bunch of fishing sinkers glued in the nose, so NBD there.
15_July_14_Crusader_III_2~0.JPG

Is there an emoticon for "I can't believe I didn't build a nice, new, kit, from a box? :facepalm Is this it???

:bang head I realize, that the model-sickness is greater in some, than in others. I'm still dinking with the ReHab F-8E, then Lo! I find Chuck's started Crusader III. I must be officted in a way even I don't truly comprehend. I think our USAF brethren may have put it best, on their Anti-SAM squadron patch. this is gonna take a while, so please be kind to me. YGBSM!! See?!?!
15_July_14_Crusader_III_4.JPG

I've removed the basic, scratchbuilt Cockpit, in favor of the CMK set. The Crusader III had an improved radar, different from the F-8E, so taht's no use, and Chuck already had a Vac Canopy for this Ship, so Here wE go!!
15_July_14_Crusader_III_1.JPG

I've drilled the rear fuselage, to accomodate a brass tube for the Vac stabilators & brass wire Chuck made.
I considered the white metal seat. There is already a bunch of fishing sinkers glued in the nose, so NBD there.
15_July_14_Crusader_III_2~0.JPG

Is there an emoticon for "I can't believe I didn't build a nice, new, kit, from a box? :facepalm Is this it???

I agree Chris, there should probably be a few emoticons that we don't have yet .

Is this a Mod or was there a model of the F-8U 3 ?

35077_26247.jpg

I think that airframe had to be somewhat different since it had to house a J-75 instead of the smaller J-57.

Anyhoowe , awesome looking beast. Press on sailor :good:

Cheers, Christian

Chris, You are quite correct, as per usual. The J75 pushed the III ship up to almost mach 3. Faster Than Sh t!
Oddly enough, the picture U posted of old 6340 is the scheme I plan to use on this old model. It was a vacform kit (emoticon for "shooting one's self in the foot"), and I inherited Her, under construction, from My dear old friend Chuck Sterns, following his death.
More bench time tonite!

It Do!
Old humbrol sprayed over the Vacform plastic. this one gets a straight paint job.
Funny Luis!

It Do!
Old humbrol sprayed over the Vacform plastic. this one gets a straight paint job.
Funny Luis!

I tried a vac form long ago not a good experience for me . I needed more experience or some guidance but had none.

Most of the hard work seems to be done on this one . Probably would be better if you had a regular kit to rob the gear from .

Good luck, I'm looking forward to this one :popcorn

Cheers, Christian B)

Bench Time Ahhh!! I built some backing for the Vac canopy, and installed stiffeners in the sides of the Cockpit.
20_July_14_Crusader_III_1.JPG

Test Fit Canopy. not too shabby.
20_July_14_Crusader_III_4.JPG

20_July_14_Crusader_III_5.JPG

I HAD planned to do it the hard way, and build up the inside from below, but i had a different idea. Lots of space.
20_July_14_Crusader_III_2.JPG

Found a nifty vid! Lookie!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6V8kvI6vrA :pilot

You do your friend proud! This is an amazing piece of work on a stunning aircraft- cheers! Man, I had an armload of old Airmodel kits long ago- and let them go for a song. I'll try one of my Koster kits one of these days- they're really quite nice!

The main gear bays;
20_July_14_Crusader_III_3.JPG

The Super Crusader had much larger stabilators than the the F8U did. In the box of treasures was a donor set of Phantom II stabilators. I pray Ed McDonough will forgive my use of F-4 parts on his Finest Creation design.
Started with sanding, and good solid butt joint. Some good .050 plastic stock;
20_July_14_Crusader_III_6.JPG

A bit of plastic weld;
20_July_14_Crusader_III_7.JPG

Port side almost complete. Starboard side in progress;
20_July_14_Crusader_III_10.JPG

They may look a bit like this, when they're carved & shaped some more.
20_July_14_Crusader_III_9.JPG

Every now & again, you must make parts. These are coming along nicely!

Despite my Quixotic tendencies, One could have a cool 1/72 Super Crusader, Lookie!
http://www.anigrand.com/AA2029_XF8U-3.htm
They DO sell the decal sheet separtely!! HA!

Well, Pup, with all do respect, I AM the duly elected President of the Plastic Surgeons! My camera is a Canon A3200 HD. I've become quite adept at wobbling about, to produce really blurry pictures. they don't look so bad, until I crop them. then......... Blah! Phffgfftt!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwis5ZDd9SU

Does it have a Macro mode on it? if so get in tight with it, frame out what you're snapping and take the shot. Then you don't have to crop and stuff. Looks like you're losing a lot of definition in your cropping.

Stabilators, sanded to proper shape, and skim coated with Tamiya putty (just the top of them)
23_July_14_Crusader_III_1.JPG

This was my bright idea. make rails inside the Vac Fuselage, to mount fit tabs mounted to the CMK cockpit tub, so it fits flush with the top of the Fuselage. No pedestal baloney. this is what it looked like;
Rails on the cockit tub;
23_July_14_Crusader_III_2.JPG

Unsanded railings installed;
23_July_14_Crusader_III_3.JPG

Braces inside the fuselage;
23_July_14_Crusader_III_4.JPG

23_July_14_Crusader_III_5.JPG

Back