• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/72 Airfix Bf109E-4

Mcleod

This is the Me.109 kit I've chosen for the campaign, mostly because it's markings depict an aircraft whose pilot had a Canadian connection.

h5a0c482.JPG

h5b4129f.JPG

The real aircraft was shot down in 1940 during the Battle of Britain, with the pilot (Franz Von Werra) being made POW and shipped across the Atlantic to Canada.

h9be3a17.jpg

Somehow, Von Werra escaped custody by jumping off a train in Canada, made his way to South America, and eventually back to Germany via Italy. Quite the journey that I'm sure would make an interesting movie. However, he should have stayed in Canada as he was eventually KIA in Germany, aged 27.

The pilot, Hauptmann Franz Von Werra

hf876d8a.jpg

Here's the time stamp

h5e8bd7c.JPG

I photograph all my builds as I'm going along, so I may as well share it beginning to end.
The interior base colors are on, and being allowed dry time. ModelMaster enamels are used.
Strictly an oob build; even using the molded in harness:

h39ee895.JPG

Tomorrow I start putting this simple model together and touching up the paint.

It's not my style to lock-in a propeller with a glued plastic disk on the end of the shaft, as Airfix would have you do here. I prefer a removable prop so I can work on it off the fuselage. So I epoxied in a brass sleeve that will accept a brass pin attached to the back of the finished spinner plate. It's all much easier this way:

h4d00bd7.JPG

I'm also experimenting with a diluted Humbrol gun metal wash here; the same as my P-40. Somehow, I feel it works better on the RLM 02.
Kit IP decals never fit, but, I used the supplied decal. It was large by about a mm; I just fit on what I could, and trimmed the rest.

h490014e.JPG

Another fun oob build. :)

This model is at roughly the same status as my build in the P-40 campaign; they are being built side by side. Posting does seem rather repetitive with similar photos.

hefa0e50.JPG

Anyway, this will be mudded, sanded, etc, until it can be primed; and that will be the next post.
I like the new Airfix kits. For quick stress relief, they're better than a walk in the park.
Later :)

Back