• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/700 Aircraft. I'm stuck in "Teeny" Gear! Zorn!

20220425_221423.jpg
The waterline hull for the Marlin. The portside forward hatch will be open for line handling and transferring supplies from small boats.
Marlins at anchor rest on one wing float or the other. I discovered some glaring flaws in the original castings. I'll fix those while I'm at it.

Something just doesn't look right about the waterline you have so I did some looky loo online and found these 3 photos.
download.png

download (5).jpg

download (4).jpg

I thought your waterline looked a little too tail down in the water and thought it should be sitting more level. A photo is worth more than my "it doesn't look right" feel.

Paul I think the cord of the wing root might be throwing you off. That wing looks like it's got a high aoa.

Bear in mind the Marlin is resting on one wing float or the other. It isn't like a P-Boat (PBY), or PBM that sits on both wing floats at anchor. That and the P5M-2 (T-tail seaplane) is a slightly beefier airplane than the -1 Marlin. Cool pictures!

Actually what I was using for a guide was the top of the fuselage. In the photos it appears to be mostly flat with just a hint of slant down toward the tail. Also Chris I had one photo with the standard type tail. The photos are there for a reference, use them or not as it is your build. I just saw something that to me looked a little off, so I did a little looky-loo for reference photos.

In order to provide proper maritime patrol and weather recon for my 1/700 US Coast Guard cutters,
20231222_155045.jpg
I ordered 4 1/700 Spartan C-27J airplanes in white versatile plastic from Shapeways. You know, the course 3D print material that is a paint and clear gloss sponge.
It is bad form, indeed for airplanes, even in this dinky scale to lie on their tails.
20231222_160038.jpg
7/32" Birdshot from a shotgun shell came to the rescue!
20231222_155111.jpg
There, better! Properly sitting on their nose gear, even if these never get any more detail than this.
Better 1/700 USCG Spartans than these are on the way. Plenty of birdshot is left!

Back