• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48th C.A. Supermarine Walrus * Completed *

1/48th Classic Airframes Supermarine Walrus

first off - the photos are weird! can't get the color right for some reason!!! maybe too many Becks..........but at least you can get an idea where I'm at, man this 4 color shadow shaded camo is kicking my butt!!

DSC_9551w.jpg~original

DSC_9547w.jpg~original

DSC_9546w.jpg~original

DSC_9550w.jpg~original

I have an LED globe I'm going to try for the next lot of pics, the colors used are Humbrol 125 grey and 224 dark slate grey for the two upper colors.

And had a ''Barry''( a Shocker. A bad time.) with the slate, will fix the mistake later.

anyway - :beer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:soldier :soldier :soldier Sound like one of my post Phil. :S

Hope you can solve this soon.

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks Christian, not to worry I will, I hope!!! :D

Too many Becks...haven't reached that limit yet but i'm willing to keep trying.

Camo is looking good Phil, you'll lick it :popcorn

Some movement on "Wally"

DSC_9815pf.jpg~original

DSC_9816pf.jpg~original

DSC_9811pf.jpg~original

DSC_9809pf.jpg~original

Decals finished tonight, Future decal coat can harden for a day or two then I'll flatcoat it.

Anyone have any ideas how this would be weathered?

Not sure if this Aussie bird operated from a land based strip then flown over water, I'm guessing though if it did touch down in the ocean to pick up a downed flyer, land ''dirt'' would be washed off, until it returned to base and again landed on a island runway.

DSC_9859w.jpg~original

She ain't pretty!!!

Got the top wing on with a battle royal with the struts, broke the top engine one, and fitted some of the bracing wires to see how they look.

Not pleased with the evergreen .20 rod on the the engine side so will replace that with the piano wire used for the wing braces.

The top wing isn't 100% lined up with the lower but it is close enough unless really look hard.

The pins that took me ages to fit into each strut worked well, good and bad, some scratches that will need to be addressed, but I think this would of been a disaster without them.

Weathering wise, well still trying some things, used highly thinned grey in the panel lines and heaps of dullcoat - will be hit again with more after the ''repairs''. Tamiya weathering sets applied by finger over the fabric wings looks passable, more to come later on.

This build fits perfect in this campaign!

Weathering - !!! a quandary - a state of perplexity or uncertainty, esp. as to what to do; dilemma. :hmmm

Walrus.jpg~original

have finished all the wire bracing last night, now doing paint touchups, I haven't glued the main wing braces in yet, makes it much easier work on the lower with weathering wise.

DSC_9871wd.jpg~original

DSC_9879wd.jpg~original

DSC_9875wd.jpg~original

DSC_9883wd.jpg~original

DSC_9874wd.jpg~original

what colours to weather a seabird in MP - and how much!!!

Colors are always my weak point. I know you should build it up slowly and in layers. If you got Migs Neutral Wash I'd do that, always a safe bet. Maybe Burnt Sienna or something dark/brown, but thin and build up. highlight with buff or grey?

I'm just guessing. Maybe one of the color gurus can help.

Seaplanes are usually taken care of by seamen who are driven to keep their vehicles (aircraft or seagoing) clean due to the effects of salt water. Salt water is very damaging to engines in particular so here are a few color images so you can see that even those in combat were fairly clean:

AC_p5mramp1955.jpg

chenangoslide031.jpg

PBY-5AAleutiansDec1943.jpg

na_pby_04.jpg

na_pby_01.jpg

PBY-6A.jpg

Mariner.jpg

Martin-PBM.jpeg

I hope this helps,

Another build that slipped past me, too many places to look here. Looking good so far Phil ! (y) (y)

This makes it easy Gary.

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/recent

:popcorn

Yes but only if one has the time to check them all out ! :gogo

Back