• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 Monogram B-24D Build

nerdling

I'm currently building this over at Swanny's for a 4 or more engine group build. Originally I was going to do it straight from the box. But I decided to try my hand at a little bit of scratchbuilding. So far the kit has been great. You will notice a few jokes about comments I have read about this kit :yipee

IMG_2474.jpg

This box is huge. What is nice is the kit is engineered so well that you can finish it in three subassembles. The fuselage and the two wings. It will make working on this beast much easier. I will be building it straight from the box. I don't expect that I will need more then 4 tubes of putty though lol.

IMG_2475.jpg

Oh Dear!!! This kit is out by dozens of scale feet I tell you. Dozens lol. Don't you just love the awesome blue desk I have. It was in the house when we moved here so I won't complain.

Picture002-4.jpg

Both wings are glued together now. It was a slow process just because of the size.

Picture001-4.jpg

I just used the kit engines. They look fine painted up with a wash on them.

Picture003-4.jpg

The worst seam so far.

Picture004-4.jpg

No more nasty seam.

Picture005-2.jpg

First try at scratchbuilding. Not accurate but it is better then what was there.

Picture007-2.jpg

Added some detail to the sidewalls also. It looks better under paint.

Picture009-3.jpg

The bombardier has a new seat back thanks to a True Details B-17 set.

Picture010-2.jpg

Added some detail to the cockpit

Picture015-3.jpg

The cockpit all painted up. I added a desk from the True Details B-17 set. I first painted it tan and then took a woodstain marker to it. I also made a fire extinguisher out of sprue and the straps are bare metal foil. The first aid kit is a radio from a P-38. I still need a decalogue for the cross. I also added a book and a pencil to the desk. Those were my wife's idea.

Picture016-3.jpg

The instrument panel all painted and drybrushed. I also added seatbelts and rudder pedals. The seats have armrests now as well. I also added some engine controls from an old pe set for a Brewster Buffalo. I made the armorplate from cardstock. I still need armrests for the copilot and over all just a but of touching up.

I like home made details... nostalgia rings clear and I feel as though I am watching Shep Paine's 'gizmology' here...

Regards,

Back