• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1:48 Academy F-4B *DONE*

OK, I think I have shaken off my modeling funk and am ready to get back in it. This kit will be OOB with the exception of a PE set for the ejection seats:

Various003_zpsae037e81.jpg

:snoopy

1:48 Academy F-4B

Trivia time. Did you know the PhantomII was originally designated the F110 Spectre by the USAF, F4H by the Navy? Only after the designation unification in the 60s did it become the F4. Still don't know how the F111 retained it's old Century Series designation.

Anywho...

:popcorn

Nice,

Since you are an F-4 expert, this PE set came with what looks like metal "seat-plates" that are supposed to be placed on top of the spot where the pilot's butt goes. They say No-Step on them them and have a question mark on the instructions.

Is that supposed to be there if the aircraft is not ready to fly and keep ground crew from ripping up the seats with various tools? I noticed that the question mark was also used for the RBF tags. I'm thinking it's some sort of seat guard to protect the seat from clumsy ground-crewmen.

OK, I think I have shaken off my modeling funk and am ready to get back in it. This kit will be OOB with the exception of a PE set for the ejection seats:

Various003_zpsae037e81.jpg

:snoopy

Would you mind showing us the Pe. There is a serious lack of flat parts on the Martin Baker ejection seat.
Well, the guard over the D ring and the seat harness but that's about it.

Cheers, Christian B)

Nice,

Since you are an F-4 expert, this PE set came with what looks like metal "seat-plates" that are supposed to be placed on top of the spot where the pilot's butt goes. They say No-Step on them them and have a question mark on the instructions.

Is that supposed to be there if the aircraft is not ready to fly and keep ground crew from ripping up the seats with various tools? I noticed that the question mark was also used for the RBF tags. I'm thinking it's some sort of seat guard to protect the seat from clumsy ground-crewmen.

ME? Not me bud, hey Chris!

:popcorn

First off, apologies for the crappy pics. Since my basement flooded, my tripod is God only knows where, so it's hard for me to get a good close up shot.

Here you go, Chris:

PE002_zps93779dce.jpg

PE001_zps60b153da.jpg

The kit number is on there so you also just look it up for a better view

Here's a link to Eduard for a better shot of the stuff.

http://www.eduard.com/store/Eduard/Photo-etched-parts/Photo-etched-set/Aircraft/1-48/F-4B-seatbelts-1-48.html

I'm stumped unless it's suppose to be the seat cushion

Ha, think I found it, on ebay no less.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARTIN-BAKER-MK-H-7-EJECTION-SEAT-SURVIVAL-KIT-SEAT-PAD-F4-PHANTOM-/200916608822

Ha, think I found it, on ebay no less.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARTIN-BAKER-MK-H-7-EJECTION-SEAT-SURVIVAL-KIT-SEAT-PAD-F4-PHANTOM-/200916608822

You did! Just when I was about to post about the Ejection Seat site.

Some images of it in use:

Click on any image to visit the H7 Ejection Seat page of The Ejection Seat site.

Compare to this now:
00.JPG

Regards,

Yep, that one's shaped like the seat pad that sits over the kit :coolio Problem with the pads is that they are not a flat surface and the OD grays out after a fairly short while... And they don't seem to have the little flaps that hang over the seat edges.

Looking at your seat, there is not supposed th be any harness draped over the emergency pack . They come out of the center of the seat.

Cheers, Christian B)

Just be aware you are looking at a seat cushion, not the survival pack. They are not one and the same.

Cheers, Christian B)

Managed to get some work done. I forgot to snap a pic before I buttoned her up:

F-4001_zpsed2e6fe1.jpg

The kit surprisingly didn't come with any IP decals so I tried to jazz the dial faces up with Tamiya clear green. It barely shows.

Not a lot left to do before painting. I will probably spend the next day or so on landing gear and ordnance assembly.

F-4003_zpsf3d6fafc.jpg

Thanks for looking. As always, any comments or opinions are welcome.

Edit: I'm also still working on the seats which are just about done.

Back