• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/400 Academy Centenary RMS Titanic

nerdling

I figured with my winter layoff coming up that I would start on a larger project that I've wanted to do for a few months. I picked this kit up a few months ago from Squadron's mystery deal. Paid 45 bucks for a 200 dollar kit. Not bad in my book.

IMG_4199.jpg

This has to be one of the best pieces of boxart I have ever seen.

IMG_4200.jpg

IMG_4201.jpg

IMG_4202.jpg

It even comes with a puzzle of the boxart.

IMG_4203.jpg

Also comes with wood decking. In the same package there is also some chain and brass lettering for the hull.

IMG_4204.jpg

IMG_4205.jpg

Photoetch for the beastie. Academy screwed up with the deck benches. They are 1/350 instead of 1/400

IMG_4206.jpg

More photoetch for it.

IMG_4207.jpg

IMG_4208.jpg

IMG_4209.jpg

I picked all these Tom's Modelworks set up on Ebay for a song

IMG_4210.jpg

Figured I'd build my own base since the kit one is an ugly plastic thing

IMG_4211.jpg

Lamp Shade risers that I will use for the base.

Quick Update for today. I started out by getting the base all put together to see how she will look when done. This will be taken back apart so I can stain it. I also got my name plaque in the mail today. Picked it up from Ebay for about 4 dollars. Not bad at all.

IMG_4212.jpg

IMG_4213.jpg

IMG_4214.jpg

IMG_4217.jpg

I figured this build isn't nearly difficult enough so I am drilling out all the windows lol. I did this with a 1/350 version years ago and then lost the model to an angry ex girlfriend.

I've been working on that same kit since the beginning of the year. All I can say, take your time and read each step at least 3 times.

Alright after not doing anything with this one for way to long I've picked it back up. Started doing some of the prep work for the wood decks and correcting some errors in the kit itself.

IMG_4653.jpg

Stained the base yesterday and put it all together.

IMG_4654.jpg

IMG_4648.jpg

The kit is missing the alcove in the front of the well deck.

IMG_4652.jpg

Made the cut out for the alcove. Still need to clean it up and build the walls and whatnot.

IMG_4649.jpg

Had to remove all the molded deck benches for the wood deck. There were about 30 of the scattered throughout the deck. Some of which Academy had molded in such a way that if placed in real life couldn't even be used lol.

IMG_4650.jpg

The stairwells near the bridge were molded with a roof.

IMG_4651.jpg

But in reality they were uncovered. Still needs some cleaning. Also these should be narrower but I'm going to leave that alone since it will mess with the wood deck cutout.

That's all for now. The hull is currently drying and will post those photos when done. I decided to stop drilling out the portholes since they can't even be seen when done.

The hull is all painted and placed on the stand now. I went with a brick red color. True red looks way to bright in this scale to me.

IMG_4659.jpg

IMG_4660.jpg

The lettering looks crooked in the photo but it's not in real life. The kit actually came with little metal letters that I think really add to the kit.

IMG_4661.jpg

The name on the bow.

Now I just need to pick up some white paint this weekend and I will be all ready to really fly on this one.

Back