• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/35 Scale Meng T-90

Skinny_Mike

Hi guys – its been a long time since I last posted any work. Motivation has been a little weird for a while now and I have started a number of projects only for them to stall out. Its been a bit crazy. But I recently cleaned up and organized the model cave and found that that really helped get the mojo going again.

This story started back in 2019. I was travelling every other week for work and looking for something to pass the time, I started bringing model kits and the tools to assemble them with me. Plan was to build something generally easy and I could paint them at home when I got some time. One of the kits I started was the Meng T-90. Pretty straight forward kit that had been in my stash for a while. I’ll break this into a few posts.

Pic 1_0.jpg

I didn’t spend any time taking in progress pictures of the build, I just plugged away at it as I was going. I did use a little aftermarket in the end, Voyager turned brass smoke grenade launchers, Eureka tow cables, and Orange Hobby Antenna.

Here are the as built photos:

Pic 1_1.jpg

Pic 1_2.jpg

Pic 1_3.jpg

Pic 1_4.jpg

Pic 1_5.jpg

Pic 1_6.jpg

I did add some control wires for the two lights on the front of the turret using lead wire. Those devises are part of the laser guided weapon counter measure system that the T-90 is equipped with. I also added some missing weld beads. Some turned out well, others not so much.

I have to admit the build languished for a while half built unit I say Night Shift’s video series on the BMR-3M and I got inspired, not only to finish the build but also to try to mimic the results. I was less then successful, but it was good to try some new things. Some will make it into the tool box, some will not. In case you haven’t seen the series, here’s a link:

Night Shift's BMR-3M

Alright, first step of the paintwork was a primer coat. I tried using Mr. Surfacer 1500 Black for the first time, thinned with Mr. Leveling Thinner. This is my new primer, hands down it’s the best!

Pic 1_7.jpg

Next up was the base coat. For this I used AK Real Colors Modern Russian Green. Tires were Tamiya Rubber Black. Meng gives you a PE mask for the wheels with the kit. A nice touch.

Pic 1_8.jpg

Next step was some post shading followed by a gloss coat and decals. Then a pin wash around the details.

Pic 1_9.jpg

Pic 1_10.jpg

All of this was followed by a coat of Vellajo Semi-Gloss and then the detail painting.

Pic 1_12.jpg

Pic 1_13.jpg

Pic 1_14.jpg

Pic 1_15.jpg

And a close up of the log. I am pretty proud of this and thanks everyone for the help with it.

Pic 1_11.jpg

So that basically covered the build. Overall, it’s a pretty solid kit. The build is pretty easy, fit was great. Everything we’ve come to expect from Meng. Unfortunately, I did not take pictures of the remaining weathering steps. I guess I just forgot. Sorry about that.

Be back in a minute with the next installment...

Last edited:
Next up was the base. Can’t have a dirty tank that isn’t in its element! Dio bases are something I am not proficient with, so this is just added practice either way.

I started out with a flat piece of Styrofoam and used some air-drying clay to build up some terrain features. Once those were dry I skinned the Styrofoam with plastic sheet glued to the sides with PVA glue. Then I trimmed the plastic to shape leaving a small ridge on the top for the rest of the groundwork. I then covered the top of the base with a thin layer of more airdrying putty which conformed to the contours and fit the base quite well.

Pic 2_1.jpg

You can see I started to play a little bit with some ground texture too see if it worked. I also added the track marks, which did not turn out well. I need to do better on that one in the future. I used Mig’s textured ground work spread over the base for the groundwork. I also sprinkled in some rocks to get a little more variety to the earth.

Pic 2_2.jpg

The whole base was primed with Mr. Surfacer 1000 Mohogany.

Pic 2_3.jpg

The base was painted in a mix of Tamiya Flat Earth and Buff (30/70 I think) which was the same color I used for the dust layer on the tank. The rocks were picked out with various Vallejo paints. The base edges were also sprayed flat black at this point.

Pic 2_4.jpg

After that was done, we grew some vegetation. Static grass from Silflor, bushes and flowers from Scenic Factory. Plus some other random stuff to add variety and randomness.

Pic 2_5.jpg

After all that was done, I added the tank.

Pic 3_1.jpg

Pic 3_2.jpg

Pic 3_3.jpg

Pic 3_4.jpg

Pic 3_5.jpg

Pic 3_6.jpg

Pic 3_7.jpg

Pic 3_8.jpg

Overall This is an ok build for me. I am generally not happy with the mud on the tank. Its too heavy for what I was trying to do. Also the track marks in the dio didn’t work well and the exhaust staining is really terrible. But, I tried new things, learned some stuff and had fun. Plus I finally finished something. Its been a while for that!

Thanks for looking guys, and any comments or critiques are welcome as this was intended to be a bit of a learning experience for me.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words everyone. It really feels good to get something off the shelf of doom and into the display case.

Mike

That looks really good,I enjoyed that kit so much,even the indies went together good.I did a parade ground version.

Looks great Mike.

I know the feeling of things never seeming to reach the completion stage.....I've got soo many stalled out builds myself.

Wow that is exceptional!! I have had this model in the stash since it came out and as I recall the turret alone is about 200 pieces!

This is reminding I should finish my T-90 build. It was a tank in the May day parade in 2010. I want to do the flag that is on the top but finding info on those flags is difficult.

Mike that is sensational! I don't think you overdid the mud and dust effects at all. They blend perfectly with the ground work you did.

Back