• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/35 scale 160th SOAR MH-60M

Finally some more work done. I scratchbuilt the mast/uni-ball assembly that the lower pressure plate and the mast extension sit on. The pressure plate and mast extension will be built next. I'm trying to make the swashplate to where it can be cast in resin as a whole assembly.

Tim

Love seeing these big choppers from you guys who've crawled all over them. You got first hand knowledge of what's in there. :popcorn

Very cool. Kind of wish I had more exposure to helicopters,never went to tac hel. Watching with interest. :popcorn
James

Just a quick thread resurrection. I ordered the Cobra Company MH-60M detail set the other day, so when it comes in, I'll be starting on the build again.
Just been working alot.

Tim

MP, there's no way I'll get the build done by the Deja Vu deadline, so you can move it over to the Tom Wesendorf field if you want.

Tim

Well, if you can believe it, I finally got to model again. It's been along time and I can tell my skills are rusty. I worked on the cockpit floor tonight and installed the pilot's and co-pilot's PE floor from the MH-60S set. For anybody wanting to build a nice looking hawk, get these sets instead of the UH-60 set.
They have alot more PE detail than the earlier UH-60 set.
I've also installed the co-pilot's floor armor using a set given to me by a fellow modeler. I tried to use the CC set, but newbie me broke the very tip off the part while trying to cut it away with a razor saw.

Don't worry about the glue spot in the middle of the box because it's going to be cut away and the under seat well scratchbuilt and put in.
By the way, these PE floors make good templates for those who are wanting to cut out the floor and make a seat well.

All critiques and comments welcome.
Until next time, clear up right!

Tim

Thanks guys for the compliments. Hopefully I'll get to model more this weekend.
I also found out I need a supply run to Hobby Lobby for some new #11 blades, a mask for sanding resin and a new razor saw blade.
Quick question?
What's best to use for attaching PE? I'm thinking slow setting super glue. Am I correct? Would that be called thick super glue?

Tim

For my next update, I cut out and made the seat wells. The drill bit making alot of holes trick for cutting out the squares and that got old really quick, so I broke out the Dremel. I then walled the wells in using 2.5 MM strips and .010 styrene for the bottom pan. After that, I glued the pilot's armor floor on after alot of sanding and fitting.

That looks pretty good using my trusty ole MK1 eyeball.
Comments and critiques welcome.
Tim

As far as cockpit floor detail, the Academy/Italeri 1/35 scale H-60 models have pretty much zero detail.
That's why I bought the MH-60S sets, because of alot of good details especially the cockpit.
When you throw in Cobra Company's details, it turns a rather simple looking model into a pretty good representation of a Hawk.

Tim

I've been mulling it over on how to fix it, but I saw a small resin bubble hole on the pilot's side armor floor the other day and I'm not sure how to fix it without destroying the surrounding detail.

You can see the hole on the right side of the cockpit. I know about the Super glue and sanding trick. I want to use some type of putty so there will be minimum sanding involved that won't mess up the resin piece. Sending out an SOS for some advice.

Tim

Back