• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Well provisioned! Lil chuk builds some targets

I've tried something new- and gotten decent results so far. One thing I will emphathize is to use a "light hold" type hairspray- I use a "heavy holding" variety and had a time scrubbing it off. No worries, though- read on!

Well_077.jpg

Well_078.jpg

Well_079.jpg

Well_080.jpg

Well_081.jpg

Well_082.jpg

Well_083.jpg

Well_084.jpg

Well_085.jpg

Well_086.jpg

Well_087.jpg

Looking awesome as usual. The overlapping sprue gate, do you mean its on the bottom where the parts will be joined? If so its the new way everyone seems to be doing it now. That way you don't destroy the edge when cutting the sprue. If you use zeon nippers or anything like that on those sprues lay flat edge of nipper on underside and snip flush. Very little cleaning and no damage to edge. If I misunderstood and you new this, my apologies.
(y) (y) (y) (y) (y)
James

Super duper way cool, Chuk! I can't tell you how many times I've opened my Zundapp kit, only to pack it back up after looking at all the itty bitty parts! :blink You may motivate me to build it yet! Excellent tips, can't wait to see the next edition! :notworthy (y)

Thanks, guys!

James- I'm sure you're right about the sprue gates, but the massive knockout pins are annoying, and the fir really has to be finessed on most parts. BOR-ing! ;)

Now, I'd really appreciate your honest opinions: is the finish on the kubel too extreme? It looks a bit too pitted to me. Maybe it's the type of hairspray, maybe it's the Vallejo paint- should I use Tamiya? If I have to strip it- I shall!

Thanks- it's great to have the knowledge base and modeling might of my allies at my side-

cheers!
chuk

CHUK,

WoW , those spokes look WIKKED :evil: ! What I'm wondering about th Hairspray - Did the Propellent in that particular brand attack th paint ? Personally I have not tried th hairspray method. I have seen a couple of Guys in My AMPS club do it ( and watched a live demo). All of them have used Tamiya & Tre-Semme ( and they only let th hairspray set for a few minutes) . One guy even went so far as to Decant it, so that it could be applied with an Airbrush. Rick Lawler might be a good one to *ping* for some hints on how th paint & hairspray reacted to each other .. :idonno

It looks a little harsh (IMHO) on the hood. Of all of th pictures that I have on Ye Olde Hard drive I've never actually seen a Kubel peel paint that bad while in service , Not sayin that it's not possible. I personally haven't seen it ( just My $.02(USD) Also another Question - Is there a reason that you didn't under coat it with Panzer Grey ? to show that th applied Dunkel was wearing off , as being over painted ?

None of this is meant to sound elitist or snide and certainly not take away from your build. I respect you 100% as a Modeler ! You've shown that you got Skillz Brotha', Madd Skillzz !! (y) :notworthy :ro:

You've got a Beautiful Build goin on Brotha' !! Keep-on-a-Rockin' !!! :ro:

Again, my thanks!

Ace, thanks for the frank crit- it's much appreciated! I was thinking that my kubel would be a later model that left the factory in Dark Yellow. The idea was just to get some random variation in the base color before going on to adding some camo- and then distressing that, too. That hairspray seems to have been waaay too thick- the colors look pitted and the chips too pronounced. I think I'll just bite the bullet and strip it, get some Tre-Semme and try it again. Do you do a solid coat of hairspray or just a random spatter? There's a motorcycle to build in the meantime!

Would rubbing alcohol be a good way to remove the Vallejo paint?

One more thing: Laura- did I screw up the spokes? I didn't notice any placement guide in the instructions- I'll have to check. Good thing I'll have a spare thanks to the Black Dog resin set! Thanks for the save!

chuk

One more thing: Laura- did I screw up the spokes? I didn't notice any placement guide in the instructions- I'll have to check. Good thing I'll have a spare thanks to the Black Dog resin set! Thanks for the save!

well - go to your garage and have a look at your bike (i do hope that you have a bicycle) ... the LHS and RHS spokes do not meet at the rim - perspective may fool my eyes but in your pic the left wheel looks like the spokes meet and the right wheel looks correct! it would be a shame if one of your flawless and exciting builds would suffer from such a blooper!

I don't have a bike :)() but you are absolutely right. Extra wheel for the win! Thanks again-

chuk

PS_ I hope I didn't glue in already- DERP!!!

CHUK,

I'm also wodering if it would be th Vallejo (?) that's reacting badly to th Hairspray ( meaning , no matter which hairspray you use, may have th same FX on th vallejo). As I mentioned I've seen it ( hair spray method) used mostly with Tamiya paint ? I may be wrong about th Vallejo though :idonno

Spraying th Hairspray .. I'd say shoot th Entire vehicle. that way you could just run any where with it & not have to try to remember( :pinch: ) where you sprayed it after th other coats are on . :D

I can't wait to see it & I'm lookin forward to th Bike !!!

Hey Chuk! I think the Kubel looks great, not too worn out (I'd be happy with it). My guess is that it is not the holding power of the hairspray, but the length of time the top coat was left on. I've used the technique, following JSteinman's description with some megahold spray my wife uses with good results. Today, I forgot I had topcoated the interior of my Bison and I had mega difficulty scrubbing off the paint. Looking good, buddy! Keep going!! (y)

Yes. Pretty much the longer you let the paint set on top of the hairspray, the harder it will be to get off. What you can do it let the whole kit soak in a bowl of warm water, for a bit, this may let the water penetrate the top layer of paint and reactivate the hairspray.

Thanks, guys- this is pure gold! I'll soak off the paint with Windex and try again- maybe I will d an undercoat of Panzer Grey!

This place is the best!
chuk

Well, some days you get the bear, some days the bear over-runs your base and drives off in your favorite tank. Wendy Wehrmacht knows the feeling- right, Wendy?

Well_088.jpg

Well_089.jpg

Well_090.jpg

Well_091.jpg

Well_092.jpg

Well_093.jpg

Well_094.jpg

Well_095.jpg

Well_096.jpg

Back