• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Kawasaki KI-61 Tony (Swallow )

It happens to all of us Christian! I screw something up every time I sit down at the bench. I remember a conversation with Shep Paine while riding from Chicago to St. Louis back in the '80s. He said, "If you don't screw something up, you're not really modeling"!

I believe the key is to not let it get to you. Usually, my best work comes from something I screwed up in the beginning, then it made me determined to correct it. Whenever that happens, I seem to work harder and more focused to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse than with a build that just falls together.

Hang in there!

Bob

Have no fear Mr. Bob. I do all the time but usually not to this magnitude .

Pretty much every layer up from the plastic on this one is an experiment , so it had a lot of potential for mishaps .

I usually keep it down to one experiment at a time as it is easier to recover from those.

I had to put this one down for a while and think on how to pursue a recovery without loosing the wing decals altogether :frantic

Cheers, Christian B)

Made some progress today but as I have a hard time keeping KANA symbols straight in my head, I did a lot of searching.

That made if even more confusing :blink

h120f4fa.jpg

Notice the caution signs over the flaps are reversed from left to right ( This is from a Japanese book )

The instructions are in the opposite order from the pictures and looking at some Aoshima box art , they were opposite from the instructions :facepalm

Does anyone here read Japanese ? I am both amused and confused at the same time . :rotf

Cheers, Christian B)

Made some progress today but as I have a hard time keeping KANA symbols straight in my head, I did a lot of searching.

That made if even more confusing :blink

h120f4fa.jpg

Notice the caution signs over the flaps are reversed from left to right ( This is from a Japanese book )

The instructions are in the opposite order from the pictures and looking at some Aoshima box art , they were opposite from the instructions :facepalm

Does anyone here read Japanese ? I am both amused and confused at the same time . :rotf

Cheers, Christian B)

That's an interesting dilemma! I wish I read Japanese (maybe someday).

Nice recovery on the paint though!!

:popcorn

Thanks Warren. Glad you're back . Looked cold on the island :(

After doing some digging , here's an explanation for the signs.

hcd8e402.jpg

The explanation for them appearing backwards is because Khana is read from top to bottom . If you were standing on the wing tip looking at it, it would make sense .

The difference between the box art and the instructions is someone's mistake :idonno

Decals drying. Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks Warren. Glad you're back . Looked cold on the island :(

After doing some digging , here's an explanation for the signs.

The explanation for them appearing backwards is because Khana is read from top to bottom . If you were standing on the wing tip looking at it, it would make sense .

The difference between the box art and the instructions is someone's mistake :idonno

Decals drying. Cheers, Christian B)

Well that is interesting! this makes me want to check all my Hasegawa and Tamiya kits to see what their decals look like! :)

Thanks Chris but no. After researching the language my head was about to start spinning .

They write from top to bottom and Right to left . I think their books open opposite ours.

Also ,there seems to be three different types of symbols . At least one cannot be read but has to be memorised .

Way more than I need to know . I have the basics and it's too small for me to make any myself.

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks Mike and Bob . Probably makes no difference to the majority of modelers but I hate having something and failing to understand it .

Cheers, C. B)

Hi Warren . The symbols were found in Michael W. Thorpe's books on Japanese aircraft .

Those books have been around since the 80's but are still useful for reference . It did not explain about the fact that it's all backwards from what we use.

Most 1/72 kits have nothing in the way of written signs , so I'm trying to make the best of these.

The Microscale sheets also had some decal sheets with signs on them .

Cheers, Christian B)

Sorry for the slow updates . I could have finished this a week ago but I can't seem to be able to sit down with this and working on it , except in very small spurts :bang head .

I had thought about oxidizing the top paint to make it look unloved but at this point in time, I can't make up my mind if
I want to or not :frantic

had4acef.JPG

Other than that it's just a landing gear and a few odds and ends and it's done

Cheers, Christian B)

Sorry for the slow updates . I could have finished this a week ago but I can't seem to be able to sit down with this and working on it , except in very small spurts :bang head .

I had thought about oxidizing the top paint to make it look unloved but at this point in time, I can't make up my mind if
I want to or not :frantic

had4acef.JPG

Other than that it's just a landing gear and a few odds and ends and it's done

Cheers, Christian B)

She's slick! Go ahead and beat it up. :popcorn

Back