• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Kawasaki KI-61 Tony (Swallow )

Thanks for looking in guys :good:

Hand brushed a couple coats of Future today . That would just be too boring to post though .

Nothing done to the bottom though. Only the silver . Will take a look see tomorrow and maybe some decals.

Cheers, Christian B)

I've never brushed my Future. :hmmm Interesting technique!
The chipping looks awesome! subtle enough, but eye-catching too.
Your fantasic results are byond dispute, Sir!
:notworthy
(y)

Yesterday came and went without any opportunities (y)

Took it out this evening and decided it could use another coat of Future . More brushing . :coolio

K-61_future_003a.jpg

I think this one will be good enough for decals.

Cheers, Christian B)

Hello everyone . This kit has suffered from an abject paint failure :sick: My fault for experimenting :smack but if I don't ,
how will anything ever improve :idonno

h452083a.jpg

My procedure for wearing the khaky paint from the underlying silver has caused it to craze . Look closely as IronMike cant see it.

After debating for several days as to how to fix it, I decided to go for broke and stripped it down to the metal paint using Windex and a brush.

h52b3d67.jpg

The process went well and the Xtreme metal hung on well .

I the preceeded with some fresh coats of the Khaky paint.

h422f05f.jpg

This time , I was very carefull to let everything cure is recommended by the manufacturer , so I could eliminate any reason for the paint failure.

Followed by ( of course ) more chipping but this time just with water and a dry brush .

h93f2705.jpg

The paint reacted very differently this time , removing more than I had inticipated :idonno Oh well, I guess the test crews really squezed all they could form this bird .

he894a6f.jpg

That was followed by two hand brushed coats of Fure , allowed to cure 12 hr. between coats and then I airbrushed a flsh coat.
So far , this is the shiniest gloss coat I have ever accomplised with Future :good: I think I'm on the right track here.

Next, to paint the walk ways ( the decals are gone now ) .

Thanks for looking . Cheers, Christian B)

We all experiment some and sharing like you have gives the rest of us a leg up on what you are doing. Glad you were able to fix the problem. I have said that for me I always learn the most when I screw it up. I try to learn from other screw ups though in order to avoid the same problems. (doesn't always happen :facepalm )

Keep up the great work Christian! Looking forward to the photo finish! (y)

Hello everyone . This kit has suffered from an abject paint failure :sick: My fault for experimenting :smack but if I don't ,
how will anything ever improve :idonno

h452083a.jpg

My procedure for wearing the khaky paint from the underlying silver has caused it to craze . Look closely as IronMike cant see it.

After debating for several days as to how to fix it, I decided to go for broke and stripped it down to the metal paint using Windex and a brush.

h52b3d67.jpg

The process went well and the Xtreme metal hung on well .

I the preceeded with some fresh coats of the Khaky paint.

h422f05f.jpg

This time , I was very carefull to let everything cure is recommended by the manufacturer , so I could eliminate any reason for the paint failure.

Followed by ( of course ) more chipping but this time just with water and a dry brush .

h93f2705.jpg

The paint reacted very differently this time , removing more than I had inticipated :idonno Oh well, I guess the test crews really squezed all they could form this bird .

he894a6f.jpg

That was followed by two hand brushed coats of Fure , allowed to cure 12 hr. between coats and then I airbrushed a flsh coat.
So far , this is the shiniest gloss coat I have ever accomplised with Future :good: I think I'm on the right track here.

Next, to paint the walk ways ( the decals are gone now ) .

Thanks for looking . Cheers, Christian B)

Growth rarely comes without a little pain. I am confident you will prevail. :good:

I thought I was the only one who get clear liquids confused.

Looks good. :popcorn

:rotf Good try but that's not quite the story .

I knew exactly what I had ( it's green ) but although it cleans brushes well it was not specificaly designed for the purpose ( experiment here ) for that I was attempthing with to do with VA / AK paints . It might work on Tamiya paints :idonno .
You could sum it up by saying I got impatient with the process.

Cheers, Christian B)

Well, it might have been impatience but you have way more patience than I do, I would have binned it long ago, kudos for sticking with it :notworthy

It happens to all of us Christian! I screw something up every time I sit down at the bench. I remember a conversation with Shep Paine while riding from Chicago to St. Louis back in the '80s. He said, "If you don't screw something up, you're not really modeling"!

I believe the key is to not let it get to you. Usually, my best work comes from something I screwed up in the beginning, then it made me determined to correct it. Whenever that happens, I seem to work harder and more focused to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse than with a build that just falls together.

Hang in there!

Bob

Well, it might have been impatience but you have way more patience than I do, I would have binned it long ago, kudos for sticking with it :notworthy

Thanks Gary . I do have a lot of patience for these sort of things .

A better explanation would be that I was trying to rush without knowing what the consequences might be.

I actually use that cleaner to clean up overspray and puddling paint ect without any harmful results.

PS. I have been waiting for a good model of this bird for a long time.

Cheers, Christian B)

Back