• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Grumman Widgeon

These short run kits can be of some really neat subjects, but they almost always need a lot of work to get them together and looking decent.

You are doing a marvelous job Christian. Looking forward to more.

Watching-with-Popcorn.jpg

Thanks Paul . I DID NOT Expect this to be a shake and bake but I am still aware at how parts are warped and it also seems that edges are always an indefinite proposition .

A beauty of a small Grumman twin when assembled . Other Grumman are not popular either . The Goose , Mallard or Albatross.

Only the Duck is represented but not in a descent kit.

Cheers, Christian B)

I personally would love to get a Duck in 1/32. If it were a decent kit it would go over. It's just that no one has ever really done a decent kit.

Still, I will be watching closely. :D

Looking so fine Chris!...very interesting subject :good:

Luiz.

Thanks for looking in Luiz . An interesting hunk of plastic for sure . :fencing

Here's something to entertain you while I chisel some more . :skipper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pWoecl1M8s

Hope everyone was strapped in and had their crash helmets on :facepalm

Cheers, Christian B)

I know they say that but look at the rudders. Think this is one of those Red Bull aircraft so you know they are a little... :woohoo: :woohoo: :gogo

I know they say that but look at the rudders. Think this is one of those Red Bull aircraft so you know they are a little... :woohoo: :woohoo: :gogo

Maybe . I was only going with what was said . I don't believe anyone with comment sense would do this on purpose .
I am amazed such a large airframe would stay in one piece .

Would be interested to know what the G meters read :facepalm If they are still attached :rotf

Cheers, C. B)

I personally would love to get a Duck in 1/32. If it were a decent kit it would go over. It's just that no one has ever really done a decent kit.

Still, I will be watching closely. :D

I have to agree on a good Duck of any size . I do have a preference for the early ones with the narrow cord cowling .
It looks more primitive and I prefer that :good:

Cheers, C. B)

I have not made much physical progress this week but I think I have solved a number of issues with the engine cowlings and propellers :)

Mostly a matter of putting things together now .

The wings are mostly fared in and I glued the cowl halves together . ( More or less )

h77b0ece.jpg

As you can see they are poorly molded . I wound up reinforcing them by adding plastic strips to the inside joints .
The fore and aft match is also very poor . :blink
Left and center are kits propellers ( you must be kidding ) . Right is part of my search for prop blades .

Next, I looked in the Airfix kit . The spinners might work once cleaned up but the props are way off

hd7c066a.jpg

I then examined the cowling to wing fit :facepalm

h5c2e47c.jpg

Since I was not able to determine where the kit had gone wrong from actual pictures, I did what any normal person would do when all else fails :bang head The drawing is actually in 1/72 scale :idonno Who would have thought ...

haec02ae.jpg

After some careful cutting and filling, they nearly fit .

hed344f6.jpg

The cowling noses have been drilled and bushings installed . I believe I have found an answer to the prop dilemma but it will be mid week before that's dealt with .

See you next time. Cheers, Christian B)

I've heard that if it were easy everyone would be doing it. :popcorn

Apparently , I will not see a fleet of these :rotf . Let it be known that I did not choose this because it was hard but because it is supposedly easier than the
Airfix version . :smack

Cheers, Christian B)

Ha :woohoo: My prop came in today . I'm a smidgen closer on the Widgeon

hfcada81.jpg

Needs a bit of shaping and some spinners but I think I am there.

Cheers, Christian B)

Back