• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

DML Pz III Ausf J.

B) Great Mud John and nice simple technique.
Mud done correctly always enhances a scene and the model, tying it into the base.
Keep up the great post buddy!

Ian.

My brother was FDNY for over 20 years. When he was younger, he chose the busiest houses he could find because then they were left alone to respond to calls, not maintain gear. When he got older, he went to the quieter ones, but then it was all about cleaning and polishing. Personally I don't care about anyone's personal experience in a motor pool or anywhere else. Unless you tell me you were in a Pz III on a Russian Steppe, your info on this subject is nothing but anecdotal. Even then, you could build that same model twice: filthy, then relatively clean and call it before and after the storm.

That said, we build to please our eyes. Mud is artistically beautiful on a tank because it adds detail and color balance.

Wonderful work John.

Here is the thing - Everyone can build their model anyway they see fit - no skin off my back. But over the years I keep seeing tanks only last 2 weeks, paint doesn't chip, My sargent won't allow my tank to get rust, on and on and on. It gets old. Tanks drive in the ground, not on it. Paint chips, rust happens and not every army in the world had the logistics train of the US military in peacetime, let alone combat on the Russian front in February 2500km from home.

I have probably spent more time looking at photos than building and finishing models - can't, won't shouldn't just doesn't apply.

Amen brother! I have seen a lot of the never happened comments. I'm not one to heavy weather and I have gotten comments that maybe I have weathered too much. A couple of years ago you got hammered if your model didn't look like it was beat to hell. There no absolutes when it comes to weathering.

Tanks lads! It is one thing to just slap on some pigments and call it a day, I have spent 3-4 days with careful application (at the end anyway) of splatter, drips, wet vs dry areas. Trying to keep it convincing. Yes I have seen over done efforts, that probably used less material than I did, but like all things, its not what you got, its how you use it! :facepalm .

Tarp is completed. Preshaded, then painted with Vallejo paints thinned with transparator and AK thinner. Pin wash with enamels.

uArreQm.jpg

tgwMA6X.jpg

ylZehvT.jpg

Thanks guys. I can promise you it does NOT smell like canvas...

Cruising along - I got 1/2 a set of legs installed!

RXKtEl7.jpg

VEFpXDD.jpg

Thanks again for the comments - they keep me pushing!

So it is devil in the detail time. I see somethings I want to change - but I would love to hear your critical comments - no matter what you say my feelings won't be hurt - so let me have it!

DxL4kGY.jpg

awUgkLZ.jpg

p5SLOuG.jpg

gVuFc5r.jpg

oxZR3gp.jpg

3XkldtL.jpg

fkaxilz.jpg

LC957Ir.jpg

ProuXjP.jpg

WCKtx2W.jpg

EZOKNMd.jpg

IvPD3bR.jpg

sgudLjh.jpg

Jm7yTEK.jpg

gfBpE9Z.jpg

lZL1MLy.jpg

ZnxGkUG.jpg

Bbsk7Jj.jpg

There's a line coming around the stowage that looks like it needs some weathering, I'm sure you already see it. Very new looking where the others look just right. I dig how that spare road wheel white wash looks fresh more or less.
When those wheels burned out did they have the rubber tires that were able to be installed again or did they have to replace the entire wheel?

Looks fantastic Dr. John! :notworthy

Once you lost a tire, you have to change the whole road wheel. Tires were press fit. Most likely a werkstat could repair one. The rope. Yes I have been debating this myself. I darkened one, but left the other family r some contrast. So I guess that is one vote for weathering it!

There is no one I know better at getting the devilish details worked out flawlessly- really need to get another in-person lesson or two on these sorts of things one of these days ;) Love the snow details down below-- but should there not be maybe a bit more on top? I would think it would especially be worked into the extra track links you have for the front armor...and maybe in the nooks and crannies of the road wheels on back and in the winker, etc? Unless everything was added post-snowstorm in which case, rock on!

Are you going to have a figure with it?

Earlier, the chair looked too big to my eye, out of scale, but since you've added the helmets the chair looks okay, now the tank looks small to me. I've never built a III and only have the Tammy 1/16 IV, so maybe my perception is out of whack. The Fedo Kharkov book has a lot of photos of guys leaning out of the side doors, but I guess they're mostly IVs.

Back