• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

CTA Build Moon Puppy Corsair

Looking good Bob :) I like the idea of making masks. circles must be difficult to cut ? i suppose you could add BMF to the wing then add the decal then cut in situ but you would need to be very careful not to cut the wing. Best bet is probably Tamiya masking tape. The RC guys get that in rolls up to 40mm wide and a roll would last a life time.

Yeah Paddy, I'm finding this ain't working out so well. I've hit the reset button, reprimed and will start again today. Pictures later.

OK, here we go.

If this looks bad it's Chucks fault, I took his advice on how to post shade the blue.

Just to spite the stupidity of this weekend, I got on the bench this weekend. wanted to get the Corsair up on her legs.

I could not find the requested Gloss Sea Blue on any of the paint racks of the LHSs but I did find Vallejo Dark Prussian Blue, also found that it's the same as Blue Angle Blue and a close match to GSB. So I went with it.

Chuck suggested that I use Buff to lighten the blue for fading, and to my eye he was dead on.

F4U013.jpg

Started with the Dark and lighted up adding Buff a little at a time.

F4U014.jpg

got some sunlight images of it. Think when I wash and wax it it'll blend in some more. Thoughts?

F4U015.jpg

Not sure if this is 100% accurate. Seen on restored birds the firewall in NMF so I used Bare Metal Foil.

F4U016.jpg

Modelmasters Acrylic Gloss

F4U017.jpg

Again not sure if 100% accurate but I like the little window on the underside.

F4U018.jpg

I hosed the windscreen. Not sure what to do with it yet. Thoughts, comments, suggestions please?

I wish I could help you out on this one Bob. I have sanded and buffed some fogging and glue out of clear parts before but since it is inside I dont know how I could help. :hmmm

Don't know if you want to play with the blue any more but I like spraying on a few thin layers of various shades of the base colour after initial shading. This both adds more depth to the finish but also helps blend everything together a little. But these layer I'm speaking of are quite thin. let's you build it up slowly with plenty of control.

It's just how I like to paint. Looking good MP!

matt :laugh:

This might be a dumb question but would futuring it now help clear it up at all? Paint looks great Bob.

don't know...may help it. I'm thinking of taking it off, sanding it down and reinstalling.

Matt, I follow what you're saying but I was thinking that filters will blend it all together. We'll see what happens. :pilot

The shading adds interest, I think it will blend well as you go. Wondering why the Scotch Quick Dry Adhesive wouldn't work on clear parts? Works great with PE, ought to be good for canopies too. (y) :drinks

My problem is popping off the windscreen, I was really liberal with the CA. I'll give the Scotch a shot..:drinks

sometimes CA does not actually stick that well, maybe that plastic is a bit oily. I have pinged bits of with a super sharp scalpel blade as a lever. don't suppose you get a spare screen in that kit, some you do ?

Have extra canopy but not windscreen. I'll attempt to pry it off and see what happens from there. Worse case will be I have to get a replacement set.

Got a couple minutes in here and there. playing with the paint. Took Matts suggestion and misted a light coat of the base color. Might need to do it once more, y'all tell me.

F4U19.jpg

F4U20.jpg

F4U21.jpg

How's that Vector lookin? :pilot

F4U22.jpg

OK, found this Vallejo Metal Medium at the LHS the other week. Figure give it a try. Using it straight it looks like pearl color then the medium dries leaving really fine metal flake.

Cool huh?

F4U23.jpg

So I try it down in the wind fold mechanism. First, a step back. I painted these parts in Enamel Yellow Zinc, then when spraying the blue I covered it also. Taking the lead from all the white wash techinques and what not, I took a old brush with windex on it and scrubbed at the blue to wear it down. then I played with the metal medium in different ways just to see how it looked.

F4U24.jpg

F4U25.jpg

A little on the tail wheel.

F4U26.jpg

And some run down the trailing edge of the wing for that worn down look. Not as tricky as a dry brush. I ended up mixing some thinned blue with the medium, let that dry slightly and then scrubbed it lightly with windex. Not hard enough to clean through the top layers of the wing, just enough to clean up the slop.

Whatcha think? Should I blend the colors more before adding decals or press on?

Really having fun at this point, it's nice to get at the bench and enjoy the hobby! :drinks

Back