• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

CTA Build Moon Puppy Corsair

damnitall...just figured out that the engine is sticking out too far. that's why the cowl ring ribs will not fit inside. They are hitting the cylinder heads. To fix this I have to really dig back into the engine...screw it..don't tell no one. :mpup

I'd say you nailed the heat distressing, need a SBS on that one of these first days. (y)

Thanks guys, nothing to the heat distortion stuff. Actally I don't have all the colors to do it right but I can put together a little something.

If anyone looking for nice walkaround of a Corsair check this out.

http://www.ratomodeling.com/references/f4u_bu17995/

It actually should be an F4U-1A but someone retrofitted a birdcage canopy on it. But still good shots of the cowl ring and flaps.

Will someone please tell me why I save broken drill bits? I came to that realization this week, threw out a boat load and got my stash of bits cleaned up.

F4U008.jpg

I dressed up a good bit on the front side but nothing in back, ain't going to be seen. Really could have used the kit engine for all that can be seen in there.

Just make the cowl removable ?

F4-42.jpg

F4-49.jpg

Too late! :mpup

Paddy I should have used the full upgrade stuff from Aires to do the cowl open like you did. The way the engine mates to the kit part on the firewall would not be correct in anyway. So I really would have had to have all that stuff that would have been at the rear of the engine, engine mounts and stuff. I couldn't even get teh intakes on this.

Looking very nice MP For a plane that is :D Love the heat distress on the exhaust pipes, very nice.
How do you do that?

Cheers Erik

Thanks Erik, wasn't much to it. Just started with Alclad Jet Exhaust as the base. Then a mist of their transparent Green, yellow and a shot of red. Hard to see the red. I'll try and do it on something else and see what it looks like. If you don't see it in a couple of days, you know it came out crappy :rotf

No heat stress test yet. Maybe try tomorrow.

I did get some bench time in

I'm going with the kit scheme out of box. Some of the unit markins are white on blue. They supplied decals in white. but we all know how that works out sometimes. I had the idea to make mask for the markings. So I took the decals and fixed them on some Bare Metal Foil to use as templates for the mask. How that work out??/

F4U011.jpg

Not too good. Looks ok here but when I tried to lift the BMF off I couldn't get a good start. Recall that when using BMF you use more than you need and trim down the excess. Maybe I can try that on round two?

F4U012.jpg

So I moved on to the US Insignias. Put the inner mask over the white then Insignia Blue, I will attempt to line up the blue mask over that and proceed with the Gloss Sea Blue overall.

Gotta blow off the roof tomorrow, last of the leaves have fallen. If I don't break my neck I'll be back on the bench after that.

Back