• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Colossus-Building the Bismarck-Trumpeter 1/200th

Wow, you are really making good progress there Laurence!
med3d-bonnenote.gif
thumbsup.gif

Thanks Paul :D

Time for another small update.

All the main wooden deck is now in place and has been stained.

This is the wooden deck in place. What comes with the detail kit is segments of deck, they have some adhesive on the opposite side. The fit is pretty good, with very few exceptions. There are some "leftovers" bits that need to be removed to make room for various parts on the deck.

he016da6.JPG

A comparison between stained vs. original color of the deck.

h6d2183f.JPG

Then, the whole thing - there is masking at the stern to prepare for the painted big flags. I won't use the decals that came with the detail kit, I think painting them would make it look a whole lot better.

hc28f8f6.JPG

h4f33149.JPG

h483d72f.JPG

h25cbbc7.JPG

Thanks for watching.

Laurence

Staining really makes a difference! :D

(y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

Bob

Thanks Bob, it does make a difference, doesn't it :D

Surprisingly enough, I couldn't find the stain I was really after, which has a bit more black in it. After visiting a few war ships a couple of years ago at an event in Sydney, plus the Mighty Mo at Pearl, the deck looks realistic to me. On top of that, there will be lots of bits and pieces on all decks, and that might shift the viewer's focus a little bit. Still, the deck is a huge part of this and, just like everything else, must be perfect :D

Laurence

Since you stained it, did the wood roughen up a little? I am just talking about wood and stain here. A light scuff over the top surface with some real fine sandpaper might be all it needs then.

Looking great Laurance!
thumbsup.gif

I've notice on the veneer it seems to be deteriorating, developed like a fuzz to it. Makes since to stain it, just never read where someone wrote about doing that. Really makes sense. (y)

Since you stained it, did the wood roughen up a little? I am just talking about wood and stain here. A light scuff over the top surface with some real fine sandpaper might be all it needs then.

Looking great Laurance!
thumbsup.gif

Thanks Paul :notworthy

Nope, it didn't rough up a bit. I removed a few very small bits of stain that appeared because of the undissolved residue in the tin. I stirred it thoroughly, but ... No big deal, they were easily removed. I was actually surprised that it didn't require sanding, happy with that.

Laurence

I've notice on the veneer it seems to be deteriorating, developed like a fuzz to it. Makes since to stain it, just never read where someone wrote about doing that. Really makes sense. (y)

This one didn't. I never primed it, like you would with a piece of furniture for example. I just said a prayer and went for it, it turned out ok :D

Well, now we know that it works ... next one to venture into this territory is more than welcome to use this bit of information :D

Laurence

Right, almost two months of going around in circles on this one. The main issue? The deck. If you trust the instructions, you have a right job on your hands, because it all depends on the intended part of Bismarck's life that one wants to capture.
As my intention has always been to show her in the Baltic, during trials, in all that fancy color scheme, I found some reference and, when studying it more carefully, I found out that I had been wrong about the deck color. It is much much darker than I thought. Following this reference, I kept digging deeper and, as it turns out, the deck was indeed very dark at the time they were on trial in the Baltic.

This photo below ..... I was totally wrong in the way I interpreted it....

h0afc8b1.jpg

When I looked at the deck, it's obvious the deck was being painted - it's very light at the bow and very dark at the stern. Initially I thought it had been dark and they were painting it in a light color. The date of 8th of March is right at the beginning of the Bismarck getting ready for her sea trials.
Well, I was wrong. It had been light to begin with, then they painted it in that dark color. Look at this photo below, taken when she was sailing towards Gotenhafen.

h22e574f.JPG

It's a bit blurry, but still, the deck is very dark and wet.

Also, when the big boss visited her, in April, the deck shows a very dark color too.

h53a76da.JPG

Well, after thinking about this for a while, I decided to make the deck darker, again, by staining it with a darker shade.

Also, another thing that occurred to me was that, without a systematic approach, this could turn into a mess pretty easily. As such, I started putting all the bits and pieces in place, from bow to stern, and from the middle of the ship outwards. This only happened I had already made a start on the main deck, so, some pieces had already been placed, where they would not have, had I followed this principle from the very beginning.

The difference between deck version one and deck version 2

ha8b3109.JPG

The stern with the flag painted. There are decals supplied, but they would have never looked good.

h33a6343.JPG

At the bow, the two big capstans, lots of vents and the two smaller wave breakers, close to the camo stripes.

h55e9f22.JPG

Also, some of the elements on the superstructure. There are so many of these little things, and most of them also have PE bits and pieces on too.

h8329731.JPG

Well, that's it for now. Work goes on, heaps to do.

Thanks for watching,

Laurence

Looks like you hit the deck color, I like the darker version. Keep at it! :frantic :good:

What Mike said!

The deck color now looks more of a pecan tint. it has more black. I like it! It's not only more correct, it also will enhance the overall appearance!

Go Laurence!

(y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

Bob

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy
WOW but that looks good. I really like the staining of the deck. Fantastic work here Lawrence, looking forward to more :D
James

What Mike said!

The deck color now looks more of a pecan tint. it has more black. I like it! It's not only more correct, it also will enhance the overall appearance!

Go Laurence!

(y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

Bob

Thanks Bob,

Spot on ... the first version had a little bit too much of a red tint to it and was too light too.

I cannot visualize the finished model in terms of colors, how the deck color will enhance it, but, looking at the few (very few) reference photos showing this dark color, I must admit, the real thing looked awesome. I hope mine will too.

A mountain to climb, that's for sure, but I am ready for it :D

Laurence

Back