• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Colossus-Building the Bismarck-Trumpeter 1/200th

BAsed in the photo up top I was going to say the rods look a bit think, but the real photo shows it spot on. Outstanding...:popcorn

BAsed in the photo up top I was going to say the rods look a bit think, but the real photo shows it spot on. Outstanding...:popcorn

That's exactly what I was thinking. The ones that come with the kit look waaaaaaay too thick compared to the photos of the real thing!

Bob

And that is the beauty of the members on this site! The most amazing photos appear!

Keep up the good work Laurence! I would suggest looking at some of the photos from up in the superstructure looking down as well. Lots of detail to be found.

Then remember that almost no one looking at the finished build will have a clue as to what is right and wrong. (Have to keep that in mind myself) Of course if you have a build bible with the ship on display it can blow them away. :D

First I saw this, I was wondering what you wanted to say.....

Obviously THINK there is a typo, but is it THIN or THICK, as both are valid. You my friend, are the generator of flexible, multidimensional typos :D

Bit of fun with dry fitting stuff on the deck :D

h45fb993.JPG

h1928ac0.JPG

Fun to look at, at least to me it is, but those turrets are bigger than a 1/35th Jeep. The blast bags are resin and must be drilled to make room for the barrels. Lots of drilling and filing. I dare not think it will be the same for the blast bags for the smaller guns. Not to mention the ton of impossibly thin PE rails that have to go on those things. Loving it :rotf

Thanks for watching,

Laurence

The railing was my downfall on the Graf Spee. I know it's not going to get you Laurence!

:popcorn

Thank you for the vote of confidence MP (y)

There's so much PE, impossibly small / thin etc that's scary. Like on of them roller coasters, looks scary from a distance, but you can't wait for the ride.

Laurence

For fine PE you just have to have the fine tools to handle the parts. "Fine" tweezers, bigger square ended tweezers, something to clam and hold parts while bending the parts, and a little forethought on how you are going to attach the parts.

I know you can do it Laurence! I will be watching. :D

Stunning work man! Your first time too? Man, I've been building regularly since I was 7 and all this, plus the water effects on the Predator are still far beyond my skill set! I'll never be known as a Master that's for sure! Way to go man, that is looking magnificent!

For fine PE you just have to have the fine tools to handle the parts. "Fine" tweezers, bigger square ended tweezers, something to clam and hold parts while bending the parts, and a little forethought on how you are going to attach the parts.

I know you can do it Laurence! I will be watching. :D

I got all the tools I think. It's the size that bothers me. Some are so small, some are really long and thin and so on. I'll give it my best shot :D

Thanks for the encouragement (y)

Stunning work man! Your first time too? Man, I've been building regularly since I was 7 and all this, plus the water effects on the Predator are still far beyond my skill set! I'll never be known as a Master that's for sure! Way to go man, that is looking magnificent!

Thanks Mark - I think you build fantastic stuff, especially in that small scale. And very prolific too :notworthy

Pretty much everything I do is a first for me, or there are a lot of "firsts" in the build. Prior to MA I did not know what I was doing. I was modeling laid on the carpet with a $2 knife and $1 file, glue and a kit, paints and brushes. That was it.

Predator is not everyone's cup of tea, it was my first attempt at doing water. For the Bismarck, I already have a lot of improvements on the water, but there is a long way until then.

Thanks for the compliments, it means a lot :notworthy

Bit of an update as I have now found some solutions to two problems I have been facing for a while.

1. The rods holding the wave breakers.

That's what it looks like with one of them done.

h223ac26.JPG

The small piece of styrene used for that, see it below, in front of that 0.4mm needle

h6dcb170.JPG

I've done 5 so far, there are 26 in total.

2. The paravanes - those big things hanging by a steel cable in the water, at either side of the ship, used to cut the cables on mines, or simply hit them before the ship got hit.

Here's a photo of the real thing

h8d20525.jpg

Now a photo of the two options I have - the plastic came wit the kit, the nice brass piece came with the detail kit.

h8725029.JPG

the other pieces in the detail kit are impossibly small, but this is what it should look like when done.

he720595.JPG

Well, I have to say that the piece in the kit is more historically accurate than the detail kit, so, I have decided to alter the kit piece a little bit, remove the original fins and replace them with the ones in the detail kit. Long story short, these photos show some of the vents on the superstructure, the PE that went on them, some PE pieces will be attached after weathering the superstructure. The paravane showing too, but a few more pieces need to go in.

h09beaa4.JPG

h5eedbd2.JPG

hd607769.JPG

Thanks for watching

Laurence

Back