• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Colossus-Building the Bismarck-Trumpeter 1/200th

Moving right along, a few photos of what is in the Super Detail Kit from MK1 - worth around $300 down here.

Everything is in plastic bags, stapled at the end or fixed to the cardboard base with sticky tape

h56c40dd.JPG

Also included, a plastic box with many turned parts and other bits and pieces

h8a7cf6b.JPG

MK1 were kind enough to provide all of these in a microwave reheatable container ....just in case. I am NOT suggesting anyone should microwave this one :D

Content of the box

hac0575f.JPG

And then there was the PE ..... for some reason this springs to mind " I WANT THE PE!!!!!" "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE PE!!!!" .....how lame was that :blush:

h833eb2a.JPG

and a little bit more

h5d2b37b.JPG

And finally, the wooden deck - I think it has some soort of adhesive on the opposite side, we shall see when the time comes.

h3d726e2.JPG

Well, that's it for now, I am trying to photograph everything used for this build.

Thanks for watching,

Laurence

And then there was the PE ..... for some reason this springs to mind " I WANT THE PE!!!!!" "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE PE!!!!" .....how lame was that :blush:

No question about it, photo-etch is a pain in the rear, but, nothing else can equal the detail it provides. I hate working with it, but..... I just grin and bear it! Not any alternative!

At least to me, it's no worse than individual; track links! :bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head

Bob

:popcorn

Yes working with small PE is a whole other level of fine eye/hand coordination. While I should be able to handle any of it being a watchmaker, there has been some that gave me some real challenges. I had to use special tweezers and a low power stereo microscope for a couple of sets and can understand why some folks just shake their heads and pass on it.

The other thing I have discovered is that just because they made PE for it doesn't mean the PE is correct or better than the kit. Double check your references. The crane PE with my Arizona was as incorrect as the kit itself. When done correctly the cranes were amazingly different and much more interesting.

While it can add some wonderful detail, don't assume that it is correct. (especially Trumpeter :blink )

No question about it, photo-etch is a pain in the rear, but, nothing else can equal the detail it provides. I hate working with it, but..... I just grin and bear it! Not any alternative!

At least to me, it's no worse than individual; track links! :bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head

Bob

Very true, the level of detail is unparalleled, and that is exactly what I am after - detail, detail and more detail. Then detail the detail where possible, endless possibilities :D

I have used Friul tracks before, great stuff, sag a bit too as they are metal, but man oh man, they are so fiddly. I love building tracked things, it's the tracks that make it challenging.

For this one, I think I am going to either start loving PE (the sooner the better) or I will end up hating it for the rest of my modeling life. I decided to start loving it, I hate being a hater :evil:

Laurence

:popcorn

Yes working with small PE is a whole other level of fine eye/hand coordination. While I should be able to handle any of it being a watchmaker, there has been some that gave me some real challenges. I had to use special tweezers and a low power stereo microscope for a couple of sets and can understand why some folks just shake their heads and pass on it.

The other thing I have discovered is that just because they made PE for it doesn't mean the PE is correct or better than the kit. Double check your references. The crane PE with my Arizona was as incorrect as the kit itself. When done correctly the cranes were amazingly different and much more interesting.

While it can add some wonderful detail, don't assume that it is correct. (especially Trumpeter :blink )

Agree - simply because it's PE doesn't mean it's the historically accurate thing. I will check it thoroughly, thanks for the advice Paul. So far, from the little I have had the chance to look at, it's correct, but there's a lot of it to examine still.

Now, that you are a watchmaker, can I ask you a question? Are you familiar with Universal Geneve watches? AeroCompax in particular?

Laurence

Right, here we go, the first steps along a journey that I hope will be nothing short of amazing.

Thought of building something that would help with handling this huge thing, a stand that allows holding it at an angle, due to so much work that needs to be done on the hull.

h94028b6.JPG

This contraption took half an hour, made of wood. The pieces of thin wood that will hold the hull were glued and secured with screws to the base. Then, to protect the hull from scratches, I wrapped those in something that is a cloth-like material, very soft, used to wrap all sorts of electronics in. I saved a lot of that stuff from when we bought our TVs, surround systems etc.

h7bdc843.JPG

Putting it on the stand for the first time - looks scary, but I kind of like it :love

h656c89f.JPG

Portholes astern. 31 of them on each side, that's 62, plus 17 on each side at the bow, makes it 34 for a grand total of 96 portholes that must be drilled open.

hc4016fd.JPG

The ship's mascot, Jasper, taking his role seriously. This cat loves models :D

Gotta go, many holes to drill :smack

Thanks for watching,

Laurence

:popcorn :popcorn

Jasper is looking a little Jealous. Maybe he thinks you'll be spending too much time on the Bismark and not enough time with him?

Back