• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Colossus-Building the Bismarck-Trumpeter 1/200th

Time for a minor update.

First layer of the superstructure is made of two halves, quite big too. Managed to glue almost all the PE on one half. Gave it a black primer, to contrast with the PE.

hf4de233.JPG

he7ffd67.JPG

he4c2a36.JPG

Fun continues .... I am starting to think that I love PE afterall :rotf

Thanks for watching,

Laurence

PE can make something really pop...Looks great. I bet the primer gives it a bit more for the CA to bite to.

:popcorn

PE can make something really pop...Looks great. I bet the primer gives it a bit more for the CA to bite to.

:popcorn

Not using CA, using epoxy resin that hardens in 30 minutes. Gives me time to position all those little things correctly, not to mention the impossibly long rails that are still to come.

I would have not thought of epoxy resin for the PE. Good idea! A nice clean build!

(y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

Bob

Thanks Bob :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

The issue that I have with PE is that, if things go wrong with the position of those parts, then it makes it nearly impossible to detach them without damaging them and try again.
This resin gives me enough time to make sure the position is correct, if there is too much resin, it can be easily wiped off before it hardens.
There are nearly 75 PE parts in place in those photos, all of them had to be lined up correctly, and the resin gave me the chance to put a few in place, look at the result from all possible angles, then move on to the next batch. A lot more flexible in my opinion.
The downside is, of course, if there is a weird shaped part that needs to be glued, it needs support / clamping because the resin it takes a while to dry, and that might be a challenge. We shall see.

Pretty sure I cannot be the first one to have thought of using epoxy resin instead of CA :D but you know what? I think this resin might give me some good options for the water, parts of it at least.

Laurence

Thanks Bob :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

The issue that I have with PE is that, if things go wrong with the position of those parts, then it makes it nearly impossible to detach them without damaging them and try again.
This resin gives me enough time to make sure the position is correct, if there is too much resin, it can be easily wiped off before it hardens.
There are nearly 75 PE parts in place in those photos, all of them had to be lined up correctly, and the resin gave me the chance to put a few in place, look at the result from all possible angles, then move on to the next batch. A lot more flexible in my opinion.
The downside is, of course, if there is a weird shaped part that needs to be glued, it needs support / clamping because the resin it takes a while to dry, and that might be a challenge. We shall see.

Pretty sure I cannot be the first one to have thought of using epoxy resin instead of CA :D but you know what? I think this resin might give me some good options for the water, parts of it at least.

Laurence

Makes sense to me!!!

I'm anxious to see what you do with the resin and the water!

Go Laurence!!

Bob

Not epoxy Dave, resin. It works kind of like epoxy, but somewhat different properties. In my Arizona, I filled some areas of the hull I was going to grind down as they are not correctly shaped. I found that 2 part resin (for casting) bonded perfectly to the plastic hull. Thus I ended up with a filler that has the same shaping and sanding properties as the plastic. As the bow on that kit is going to get a lot of reshaping the resin was a great idea.
light-bulb.gif

I guess it bonds to the brass as well. Never thought to use resin though the resin I have cures in about 5 minutes so not much different than CA. Developed ways to deal with using CA successfully so not an issue for me. I will have to keep the resin in mind though.

Looking great Laurence!
thumbsup.gif

Makes sense to me!!!

I'm anxious to see what you do with the resin and the water!

Go Laurence!!

Bob

I am thinking of using this resin to create the top of some big waves, and especially the water over the deck, in some areas.
It is almost perfectly transparent when dry, will have some drybrushed white here and there, but, more interestingly, the foam at the very top of the waves. I have to try it before I get to do the water though, I might actually do that soon.

:D

Not epoxy Dave, resin. It works kind of like epoxy, but somewhat different properties. In my Arizona, I filled some areas of the hull I was going to grind down as they are not correctly shaped. I found that 2 part resin (for casting) bonded perfectly to the plastic hull. Thus I ended up with a filler that has the same shaping and sanding properties as the plastic. As the bow on that kit is going to get a lot of reshaping the resin was a great idea.
light-bulb.gif

I guess it bonds to the brass as well. Never thought to use resin though the resin I have cures in about 5 minutes so not much different than CA. Developed ways to deal with using CA successfully so not an issue for me. I will have to keep the resin in mind though.

Looking great Laurence!
thumbsup.gif

Paul, spot on.

I have two sets, one that dries in 30 minutes, one that dries in 6 minutes. It's called Great Planes PRO EPOXY for R/C Models - says "Ideal for high strength joints" which is what I wanted.
For the multitude of small PE parts, I use the 30 minutes one, because it gives me enough time to make sure they are all aligned properly.
For the bigger parts, I will use the 6 minutes one, dries quicker,won't have to wait before I get more done to that section of the ship.

Laurence

Back