• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Colossus-Building the Bismarck-Trumpeter 1/200th

:popcorn :popcorn

Jasper is looking a little Jealous. Maybe he thinks you'll be spending too much time on the Bismark and not enough time with him?

Naaah, he loves models that cat :D

h6dd010e.JPG

h476da96.JPG

Laurence

Right on! I do know that in my case, you're right: I can't handle the P/E!

I'm sure you can do a good job with it Mark (y)

I'm gonna have to: I have a review kit of the JMSDF Izumo that has a full P/E set that I'll need to install. I'll be watching how you do yours.

I also love seeing pics of Jasper around the models. My cat Sylvester is mildly interested in mine and occasionally joins me to check them out to see if I'm doing them correctly. Sometimes he even sits on top of the back of my office chair to watch me work.

Still watching this.

Right, time for an update ...

Porthole frames and brows - 96 of them in the detail kit - all prepared, some of them are in place already.

For the steps at the stern - there are four sets along the hull, 32 on each side. The kit comes with some stuff in place, like moulded bits of plastic which don't look good. The detail kit has PE for them, but they are flat. All steps that are welded onto the hull are round, not flat, so, I decided to use a metal rod instead. It's 0.3mm from Albion Alloys.

So, to sum it up - 96 PE portholes, 128 holes drilled for the 64 steps, which have to be cut, bent and glued in place.

h793446a.JPG

Some of the steps are in place.

h79c4f2e.JPG

Most portholes are done, only bow for now, very few at the stern but working on it. :captain

Thanks for watching,

Laurence

Nice attention to detail. This will be truly magnificent when done.

And you only broke one drill bit? You ARE doing well!

I_LIKE_IT.jpg

I think you will understand.

sFun_hypnotize.gif
You will super detail this out completely....

3dfou.gif
Wonder why..

crazy.gif
Don't go nuts,

duh.gif
There will be days..

light-bulb.gif
That you will experience "light bulb" !

face-plant.gif
And of course others that blind side you.

thumbsup.gif
Just enjoy it! It will be worth it in the end!
smile.gif

Nice attention to detail. This will be truly magnificent when done.

And you only broke one drill bit? You ARE doing well!

Thanks Mark - yep, only one broken. At $3.50 a pop, I was a little bit scared to be honest, but it turned out ok. More photos coming soon, I hope :D

Laurence

Bit more progress - all portholes done, all steps done, painting in progress.

For now, it's the red hull and water line, plus black camo stripes on one side. Most of the red won't be seen at all, water line here and there, depending on the waves. Some pre-shading on the portholes is visible.

hc690c09.JPG

The deck needs some adjusting, it seems a bit too long, working on it :captain

Thanks for watching,

Laurence

Unless Aussie bricks are of a different size than US, that thing is freakin' huge!

So you're going to submerge the hull in whatever medium you're going to use for the water or are you going to cut?

Looking Great Laurence!

Steady as she goes my friend! Or so they say!

I can't wait to see this in the water!

Bob

Unless Aussie bricks are of a different size than US, that thing is freakin' huge!

So you're going to submerge the hull in whatever medium you're going to use for the water or are you going to cut?

Aussie bricks are just the normal size, only upside down :D

The thing is 5ft long, for my American friends, 1.5m long for my other friends. I think the whole diorama will end up being 6ft 4in long or 2m long.

The hull will be submerged in Celluclay, not cut. It is too big and too heavy, the hull as it is provides the rigidity I need.

Laurence

Looking Great Laurence!

Steady as she goes my friend! Or so they say!

I can't wait to see this in the water!

Bob

Makes two of us Bob, trust me :D

Might take a while before that happens though, but it will happen.

I think the water will actually take longer to do than the ship. I want the water to be very "stormy", big waves, lots of foam, everything the Baltic had to offer during bad weather in winter.

Laurence

Back