• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

120mm Verlinden "Bandits 2 O'Clock B-17 Gunner"

I'm not sure that's the right location for the insignia. Wouldn't the RhS insignia be aft of the gunners window?

Recall that the waist gunners position was staggered on the G model, or at least some of them. The Right Waist gunner would be more forward.

2-b17-g.jpg

Hmm...if that's the case, there's really no sense in adding it at all since it would be to the left of the left edge of my piece...

It really depends on what version the B17 would have been. If it were a later G it would have had the staggered waist gun positions.

If it was staggered just a simple block masking of the blue and white would work. Earlier would have part of the star. Maybe the star would add more eye candy to your subject Mike.

Tough to tell what version this is...says nothing about it in the kit and not enough on the base to tell?

Didn't Saúl say something about it being an F from the gun pedestal??? Hmmm...gonna have to explore...

Just did a quick Google search...it does appear to be part of an F- and the insignia is in front...so it's good...Kenny- I'll check in with you later...

Didn't Saúl say something about it being an F from the gun pedestal??? Hmmm...gonna have to explore...

I am glad you remembered! The figure set seems inspired by Memphis Belle. Splotches of Forest Green over the OD:
1280px-Memphis_Belle.jpg

060517-F-1234S-022.jpg

Markings under the gunner's opening...
popandstuka2.jpg

So, you may need Kenny's masks after all! The dog is Stuka, Memphis Belle's mascot. Here is a video from Critical Past.

Right side with Staff Sgt. Bill Winchell. I included it as I was checking to make sure the spoiler (wind breaker flap) was used on this aircraft.
winchellbelle.jpg

Regards,

Hmm...just stars, no bars on the Belle! Didn't the crew members have their names painted under their stations? That would be cool!

Note to self...let page load before replying ;). That would be cool...although I always preferred Chow Hound...they also had crew nicknames outside

I always preferred Chow Hound...they also had crew nicknames outside

Look at this image:
image024.jpg

Note the little details (don't worry, I'm not calling you on them) such as the track for the Plexiglas panel to slide out of the way for the gunner to be able to aim the gun out the aircraft.

Then look at the left side of this image:
B_17_WAIST_GUNNER.jpg

See the barrel lock with the straps? In the previous image, the gun on the left is stowed and the Plexiglas cover in place.

Now, let's compare the gun mount to Chowhound, B-17G-15-BO Serial 42-31367:
ChowHound.jpg

Note that the gunner's positions is enclosed with two vertical bars reinforcing the Plexiglas.

Regards,

Ah see...I wasnt home to check my references that Chow Hound was a -G...that's what I get for posting from church! ;)

Bob...I wasn't going to do the Belle until I saw Saúl's pics...but that name under the window really would add something different as well as the kill markings...which brings me to a question I can't find an answer to...how wide we're the waist windows so I can get a good estimate to Kenny?

The insignia on the side would be a standard, I best Saul can give us that info quicker than I can google, get distracted, take the trash off to the dump (Sunday chore), come back and forget what I was googling and find it by accedent later this evening...

The Belle side would be nice, a Forest Green splotches ontop of OD. (y)

I best Saul can give us that info quicker than I can google, get distracted, take the trash off to the dump (Sunday chore), come back and forget what I was googling and find it by accedent later this evening...

I'm not so sure as I need to check in my library to see if it is mentioned in the history or manuals. Then it is to the scanner to post the image, if I can get it working.

Regards,

Thanks guys! I need a sheepish grin smiley...I could have just measured the door that covers the waist position. I hadn't added it yet as I still have to paint the exterior OD. But either way-- that works!

Saul-- I do have the track next to the opening as it was a PE piece and the door will attach to it once I have it painted. I have some other PE pieces still to attach to the .50 so those types of details might be present and just not added yet Saul ;)

Hey Mike. Here's what I got heading your way. The smaller insignia are for the fuselage, but I cut the larger ones also, don't ask why. I also got the name "Virginia" with the swastikas cut for you.

masks.jpg

Back