• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

120mm Verlinden "Bandits 2 O'Clock B-17 Gunner"

Ran into a nasty issue while gluing down the styrene outer shell. Should've done sections...but I went with a big sheet and ended up with a ripple in the skin. Went to cut out the section that is bad and now I've got the pieces that are glued down with the CA stuck...kind of like peeling a hard boiled egg but having some pieces of the shell stuck...I'm sanding the areas down...but is there a way debonder would get under the sheet to dissolve the glue? Any other ideas?

Mike I didn't see your last update. you got a picture of the problem? Why not sand the ripple flat?

I tried adding a second sheet over the messy parts but blecch...I'll take pics later...working on the gun and gunner now...

Well-- first off is my outer hull mess-- any ideas for fixes??
100_7116.jpg

In the meantime, I have been working on the .50 caliber and the gunner. The gun has some PE parts still with wet glue, so no pics yet...but here is where I am at with my dude...
100_7118.jpg

100_7119.jpg

100_7117.jpg

Dropped him on the way up to the Sheep's Pen so he lost a foot...had to glue in a peg and reassemble him-- but these were taken before that...the skin is Vallejo Dark flesh...and the leather is a mix of Walmart craft paints...trying to decide on whether I should vary the leather at certain parts where there would be constant bending-- like the knee and elbows. Also want to get it somewhat shiny like leather-- maybe Future?? Before or after I weather in some details and washes?

Finally-- I need some advice for the Mae West...which will be yellow and the straps which will be white-- what sort of paint would hand paint with good coverage for those two notorious colors??

Paint the Mae West all flat white before trying any other colors.

The ripples...you know me, I'm the ol' break out the sanding pads type. Just sand it all down and try again.

Or can you soak it all in acetone to remove the CA you used to put the skin on?

Yeah...sanding didn't really work the first time...might have to have a go with the acetone...or would lacquer thinner wear that stuff away as well?

OK-- I keep forgetting to buy acetone so am holding off on the fuselage section right now and am focusing on the gunner. Had a snow day yesterday for the first time this school year (usually by now we are out of them!)-- and here is where I am at.
004%7E9.jpg

002%7E10.jpg

001%7E13.jpg

Obviously the colors are a bit too stark at this time, and I have some things I have to paint over but I have a couple questions...

1. Despite how it is molded on the figgie, from pics I have seen on the web, the Mae West vest is supposed to just loop over the head and as far as I know not go down the full length of the back. Am I wrong and there are different versions of the vest where one would be full length or is there supposed to be something else going down the back there like a flak vest?? As it is molded, it looks like the same texture as the front.

2. I realized after getting this far that around the shoulders are some gaps where the resin didn't fit too keenly...what sort of thing should I use to fill them?

Guess that is it for now...thanks for looking!

Id use 2part epoxy putty to fill in those gaps as it will stick to the paint work to and you can super smooth it out to blend so no `orrible lumps and when dry repaint with the basecolour.

Jeeves how are you going to tackle the leather ?

I have had some success with this so if you get stuck then shout out, mate

great job all round though

A

Thanks for the reply Andy!

You mean like Apoxy Sculpt? I'll have to grab some up as all I have is Squadron putty and Mr. Surfacer 500...easy enough

As far as the leather goes, I welcome your input! I was going to lighten the area that see more wear like elbows and knees...and then do some highlights at all the areas where the folds stick out...any suggestions on colors? The zippered areas I was going to hit with a sharpened Prismacolor pencil. And finally I was going to try and figure a way to address the dead flat look...maybe a brush on layer of Future? Please Andy...if I am completely missing something obvious or if you have better suggestions, I am all ears!.

Excellent progress, Mike...for gaps, I use Elmer's carpenter's wood filler, which fairs well with resin and plastic. :popcorn Looking forward to your next pics.

Thanks Dan...I'll have to go looking for that as the 30 minute drive to the LHS will have to wait until life is less crazy to go looking for the epoxy...

Well-- took some of buddho's and Andy's advice and started a bit of Mig Productions Dark Wash...still have to play around with the leather a bit and start adding the buckle detail...and a touch up on the Mae West where the masking pulled it up...but you can sort of get the idea where I am going ;)
007%7E8.jpg

006%7E10.jpg

I might have to just do this one as the figure for now...clean up of the outer hull is giving me fits...trying to get the old styrene off....acetone is helping but it is a slow process....
005%7E12.jpg

Thanks Mike!

I am nowhere near done with painting...but wanted to see how it all looked in a wash right now ;). Not sure what color to paint the scarf around his neck....maybe a silk scarf from his girl back home??

Well-- took some of buddho's and Andy's advice and started a bit of Mig Productions Dark Wash...still have to play around with the leather a bit and start adding the buckle detail...and a touch up on the Mae West where the masking pulled it up...but you can sort of get the idea where I am going ;)
007%7E8.jpg

006%7E10.jpg

I might have to just do this one as the figure for now...clean up of the outer hull is giving me fits...trying to get the old styrene off....acetone is helping but it is a slow process....
005%7E12.jpg

I'm liking it.

Mike I would start building up Mr Surfacer on the side of the hull and smooth it out. Looks like a heck of a job you got going on.

:soldier :popcorn

Thanks Mike-- I am gonna look for that post someone made a while back of Homefront pics to see what the ladies working the assembly lines were wearing on their heads and might go with something like that.

Bob-- I'm going to give the acetone a little more work and then I might go for what you suggest. Here's where I am at after adding some more paint detail to the leather, metal pieces of the harness, and the headphones...and after rubbing all the zipper lines with a Prismacolor silver pencil...feedback is most welcome-- I really am enjoying this and might have to get another large-scale figure...
004%7E10.jpg

003%7E12.jpg

002%7E11.jpg

001%7E14.jpg

Back