• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/700 scale Shrimp/Fishing Boat kit.

:yipee :yipee :yipee :yipee :rotf :yipee I figured out how to make the Mast & braces for the Shrimp Boats!! LOOKIE!! (Naughty Serena, stealing the scene again!)
IMG_5523.JPG

I cut 40 scale feet of .020 brass wire, drilled a hole, and put it in the Deck, just forward of the winch, I drilled #78 holes along the deck edge for .016 brass wire mast stays, and glued them in. Next, a bitty piece of .15 evergreen, slide down the mast, try to line everything up, and C/A glue everything at once. Guess how that went?! :bang head :bat :stinker :vmad

Change of Plan! :smack .15 evergreen card, 5 HOLES, rather than 1, slid down main mast. Insert 2 stays through the 2 portside holes in the mast topper. Then! slid the starboard side mast stays DOWN thru the holes in the mast top, into the holes along the deck edge, and thin C/A glued the whole she-bang, and VOILA'!! Shrimp boat mast & stays ANYONE can make!!
IMG_5528.JPG

IMG_5529.JPG

I know it's not a Tank or an airplane model, so it may not seem like a big deal, but I puzzled the "how-to" on this mast, until my puzzler was sore, and it was a humoungous personal break through for TLAR Models!! :yipee :yipee

This means the Deck House is independent of the Hull/Mast/booms/outriggers, and can be detailed/weathered/photgraphed separately. I added the twin diesel exhausts for Capt. Sawyer's 3406 Cat engines as well.
IMG_5531.JPG

Along the way today, CSS Tennessee got her fore and aft guns and new forward spray shield.

I figured out what to make out of all my extra 1/700 60-foot boats. Elco half-hardtop Sport/Lobster fishing boat!! (goes with the 110-Foot WPB kit) :eek:ldguy
Sorry, 'Pup. No SS Minnow yet. It is on my "List" in 1/350 waterline.

T'were a good day for stays & masts! :drinks
Having figured out the technique, I fixed up all 3 options in the Kit. I'm almost out of .016 brass war. :frantic
IMG_5532.JPG

They all have exhaust stacks too!
IMG_5533.JPG

IMG_5534.JPG

On The Dixie Flyer trip this year, I actually laid eyes on all three Shrimp Boats depicted in the kit. The littlest Boat is the Frog-Green one in this picture. The Step-Bridge boat is 2nd from the left. I kinda went nuts on Grave Digger's Mast & Stays. Oh Well. They are the scale height Cap'n Sawyer sed they wuz!! :salute
IMG_4940.JPG

Was that Shem Creek in Mount Pleasant? Think the first ship/boat I ever saw was a shrimp boat at the beach when I was a child. Still loves some shrimps...

:popcorn

This pict' is Darien River shrimping fleet, at Darien, GA. Just upstream from Skipper's Fish Camp (Bar & excellent Restaurant) http://skippersfishcamp.com/

I'd go there and spend my $$ again! It was great!!

LONG way for a day trip but it's on my list. It's blipped my radar in the past for some reason, don't recall.

I put CSS Tennesee in here, for no better reason that She seems to be keeping a watchful eye on the GA Shrimp Fleet. :idonno Whaddyagonnado?
I fixed up some gratings for the casemate roof I had sanded of, scribed some more deck planking, sprayed the deck, and washed with oils. See?!
IMG_5537.JPG

The Pickle-Green Darien Shrimp boat looked brighter before the Future coat. still..................
IMG_5543.JPG

I'll get out my Teeniest brush, and touch up these two Boats.
IMG_5540.JPG

Thanks for looking in!

So I guess when the eyes get a bit weak and the fingers get a bit fumble you plan on switching up a scale or two to 1/200? :blink when I get that close with my camera all I see are cracks scratches and dust......really nice work :good:
:D :drinks

It was a good day for T-booms and "ladder" support. On the real Shrimpin' Boat, the ladder is attached on both ends with short chains and cables hold the top of the T-boom. NSM in this scale.
IMG_5597.JPG

See?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_03zn8Vq6iw

Thanks you Guys! :salute I fixed the Pickle Boat, but I used Kulula Green, instead of clear yellow. IT's VERY GWEEN!! :yipee

Back