• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/700 scale Shrimp/Fishing Boat kit.

Mold making begins with Lego and brown,sandy, lean, plasticky, clay. Yup! Mud.
I had not planned to make this a two part mold, however, utilizing TLAR Models exclusive shmusch, shake, stink, and split technology, this will provide a greater quality model kit, for all who, just starve for the pinnacle of waterline commercial fishing boats! :eek:ldguy :stinker :frantic
IMG_4724.JPG

My RTV Rubber stuff is 2 years past the "Use by" date, so this will likely be it's final mold. Pink. Uh-huh.
IMG_4725.JPG

The cup is from a nyquil bottle. My Mold mix just might be better than 10/1. more like 6 1/2 to 1. Pink. Uh-huh.
IMG_4726.JPG

When I get to this point, I put the Lego/Mold on the shelf above my compressor, and paint for a while. The vibrations from the compressor help bring up the bubbles in the RTV Rubber.
IMG_4727.JPG

Tune in tomorrow, folks, to see how the bottom half of the mold comes out!
Hey Bob! The nets will be lil' pieces of sheer panty hose. My Sweetheart does NOT know yet!! :rotf

This is going to ROCK! Looking forward to the next installment here.

You going to make these little boats available? I might want to consider a few myself...

I have some more planning to do for directions, masts, booms & rigging, but yes, these will be for sale. The kit will include 1 Hull, 2 deck houses, brass wire for masts, nets, and a power boat, just for the fun of it!!
TLAR's next planned resin kit will be a 1/700 famous shark killing boat. Any Guesses??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I91DJZKRxs

The top half of the 2-part mold is poured, and with the aid of a heat register, cured nicely overnight! :good:
I used a bottle cap to pour the mold for the fiddly booms, flying bridge, and ventilator. Model supplies are EVERYWHERE!
IMG_4751.JPG

Mold separated, Masters removed. The P/E bridge windows for the Shrimp boat pulled off the master, when I extracted the deck house. :smack I liked the look of them, but they won't do. New bridge windows will be made out of bitty stretched sprue pieces, and lightly sanded. They must be "Just So", and of good detail quality. I'm kinda picky about such things.
IMG_4756.JPG

Not yet. I just got the bridge windows fixed, but I haven't made the new mold for it yet, and I'm trying to buy new resin components, so they are of good quality.

I poured the first batch of CR-900 2-part Resin tonight! :yipee
I seem unable to mix just enough, so I dusted several other molds with Release powder, and poured them too. I only made an ounce. :bang head
Find in this batch, Improved and unimproved hulls, Unimproved superstructure and gun turret, for USS Defiance. Shrimp Boat and Tuna boat hulls, deck houses, fittings, booms, and flying bridge platform for the TLAR two-fer kit. A Pleasure Power Criuser, a PTF Nasty-class dingy. a PCF Swift boat, 4 Studebaker 2 1/2 ton army trucks, and a Martin Mariner PBM-5, sans wing floats. all in 1/700 scale.
I'll mix & pour resin every night until my Vacation starts. I hope to get 4 or 5 nice castings for sale in a couple of weeks. :drinks
The gears are slowly turning here @ Sea n' Sky!
IMG_4757.JPG

Part of the yield of the first castings. I've learned to "massage" the molds just a bit, and take more time pouring the resin, to get the air out, and fill the mold completely. I'm not sure whether my release agent is an asset or not. I poured 2 hulls, 2 deck houses, and another Defender 250, with more USS Defiance parts, and Swift Boats, as well.
Makin' Shrimp Boats is hard!
IMG_4758~0.JPG

Look at this funny thing! The Swift Boat had a blow-out, and the PG hull mega-hogged! Neither has cured all the way yet. This is what happens when modelers get in a hurry! :frantic :tomato
IMG_4761.JPG

IMG_4762.JPG

Wow, it almost looks like the Swift Boat is doing a broadside while the PG just took a torpedo amidships. Although a torpedo would shatter that small thing into a million tiny shards so lets say a deep-placed mine.

Looking forward to seeing a second cast.

I've been casting resin parts for a couple weeks.(Mix, Pour, wait, de-mold, wash, repeat. :gogo ) I've got enough hulls, 2 deckhouses, small parts, and bonus powerboats for 7 kits. I'm building one of the shrimp boats, and fishing boats for the artwork on the packaging, even though the kit will only have 1 80 foot hull.
IMG_4813.JPG

I have a few hulls that cast less than perfectly. They aren't bad enough to throw away, but I could not, in good conscience, sell them. Stuart seems most adamant about his favored Y-wing fighter! :bat
IMG_4814.JPG

Back