• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/32 F/A 18 A

Thanks...Great idea! Ok all the decalling went great (I didn't mess anything up at all)...lies yup.
I finally got the Hornet up on its legs (not 6 in this case) I farted around for about 15 minutes at my model desk trying to get the model to sit level and straight, when it measured level (I'm using a depth gauge that used to be used as a carburetor float gauge...carburetors are long gone so the tool found a new use at the hobby bench...anybody remember carburetors?) anyway when it measured level, it didn't look level. I finally noticed my plastic work table is about as straight as a dogs hind leg so I took the whole issue into the kitchen and measured it out on the granite counter top. Once it measured level there it looked level as well...that's done. I glued everything solid with super glue (or crazy glue in my case?) and moved on to fitting the intakes and splitter plates.

hef48744.JPG

h3785d72.JPG

I remember carburators Chris! Worked on way too many VW's back when. As for the leveling, Excellent job! Many folks don't pay that much attention and it bites them later. I have glass tops on my benches which takes a lot of guess work out of it.

Also if you ever decide to go crazy and do a box kite (WWI) check out the Gavia Albatros I built last year. I made jigs to hold it all in alignment before gluing it. In that case it saved the build as the top wing center strut frame had no alignment points whatever. :bang head

Decals are looking great! Looking forward to seeing the finished build! (y) (y)

Hey, maybe that's the excuse i'll use. My workbench is crooked, not the gear :rotf

Looks great Chris! :popcorn

Thanks for looking! So many great people here!
Building a box kite with no alignment aids? a lot like scratch building I think!
A crooked work bench can be a cursed blessing hey?! I'm glad I finally figured out my problem, it'd really suck to have the model all measured up for level on the bench and take it to a show just to have it look like it just did a hard landing...
I think I've turned a corner tonight, the jet pipes have been painted and fitted, the intakes as well, and the cockpit avionics bay is finally secured (again) Best of all...it's finally up on it's wheels
Masking for tail pipes
hd7b27d2.JPG

h66829e7.JPG

hc8eb6cf.JPG

Thanks for looking and commenting guys!
As usual for me, I had a couple of mishaps in the last few days...I broke the tails off the model while accidentally lowering my arm and hitting a metal straight edge I had carelessly left with an end hanging over the edge of the bench. The other end was under the model and when my arm came down on the free end the other end attempted to catapult launch the model straight up and off the bench (VTO...) The tails and exhausts were damaged but just the glue joints. It's all fixed now, good thing the model copies that super tough F/A 18 landing gear.
Decals are almost done, back to the painting and construction stage...
nose gear stripe (painted bass akwards)
h9b6dbb3.JPG

masking for the black stripes on the hook
h7a8b3ca.JPG

Back together after the mishap (except a rudder)

ha7a76c8.JPG

where I got to today
h3c06441.JPG

Another update has me nearing the end of this project. The clear parts, lights and antennas and a bit of weathering should bring this to a close, it's been a much shorter build than I had originally anticipated, probably because of the great fit of the kit...although masking and painting should have added a few hours (or days) to the build.
I finally got the stripe on the gear door on the right way
h9c004ba.JPG

h380e304.JPG

h82899b0.JPG

hb81b8ec.JPG

Outstanding Chris, you should be proud of this build! Hope you show it off, it ain't braggin' if you can do it!

:popcorn

Back