• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Zoukei-Mura P-51D

Well I know that this looks like more of the same but believe me that it isn't. With the duct work, pit side panels and ip done and assembled it is time for the fuselage exterior to be assembled. This comes is about 6 or 8 pieces and hides almost all of the interior detail.

I took some Tamiya weathering sets, mostly set D. and tried some stuff to the exhaust stubs, they are darker on my end and look as if there is actual bluing on the tips.

This kit has issues other than me building it, fit in some areas is pretty poor but in others its real close. This isn't a Tamiya kit but I think I can make it look as if it is a P-51. I do like the idea behind the fuselage assembly where it has panels to be assembled. I guess that if you choose to add or leave of certain panels you may be able to display the innards.

Open panels could help with some fit issues Paul, it does make an interesting build.

Looking swell. :popcorn

the fit issues continue. after three days of fighting with the outside nose panels I finally got the to fit in an acceptable manner. filling is necessary as well as some aggressive sanding to get the steps level.

This kit is giving me some good rescribing time. I also got the tail section on and to my surprise... more gaps for filling and sanding. All I can think of is Martin and his B-2 Spirit with how much sanding and filling he has done there.

I am concerned now if the wing join would be decent. All-in-all I think I may have missed a step some where along the line to have all these fit issues and as I understand it that there is a magazine out now that covers all the steps in this assembly. I will, however, have a nice looking build out of this and even though the Dragon kit left nothing to be desired I think this one still out weighs it by a mile.

P.S.R. = Putty, Sand, Repeat

You get the idea, Paul :zen

Ian

That's a real good question. :idonno

So far the wing assembly is above fair. The Brownings were a bit of a pain and I mucked those on my own. This is where the build up of the gear bays start where you have to ad four rib fronts and a cylinder assembly to the front of the main spar. After all that was done I put the lower skin and upper skins on and they seem to fit well. Here's to hoping it doesn't stop there.

I am leaving the gun hatch panels closed only because of the scheme I intend to use on this plane. Several have crossed my mind and I haven't really made a decision on that quite yet.

This kit has quite a bit of interlocking pieces reminiscent of a jigsaw puzzle with gaps. I had a slight victory putting the wing on only to have it dashed to find out there is a part that I forgot to add, the control stick, oh well.

I filled in more gaps and did some sanding. trying to get it as smooth as possible so tomorrow I'll wet sand it and see how that comes out. I re-scribed some panel lines and attached the rest of the flying surfaces.
One good thing is I haven't seen any sink marks.

These gaps are all over the place with some being way too large to fit so again sanding is called for.

an interlocking vertical stab

It is still looking like a serious Mustang though and I am really looking forward to the painting.

I think since I am this far I'll take a short break and do some unfinished kits that are haunting me.

This is slowly getting done. I have the control surfaces on and a dry fit for the canopy. Like the Tamiya kit this one comes with three canopies. A Dallas hood and an early and late Inglewood hood. The One I was going to use split right down the seam line as I was removing it from the sprue. :facepalm Keep on keeping on.
glued the mg covers in place and as soon as all this is done Ill get some fine wet sanding done.

Unbelievably, there are gaps between the transparencies and the fuselage :facepalm :bang head :bang head
This does, However, look like a P-51 and after all thats what IU am trying to achieve.

Looking good Paul. Disappointed in the fit issues though. I think for sure I will stick to the Tamiya version.
James

Uh, I really dont know what is wrong with this kit :unsure: You can solve a problem but this is not easy to build.

Great decals Paul :ro:

All the best!
Dusan.

Back