• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Zen and the art of Alclad II

Paulw

:zen I am serching those o great and knowledegable masters of the air brush in order to ensure a good coating of Alclad. I picked uo the gloss black for the base coat, polished aluminum and duraluminum for my soon to be prize winning competition entry F-84G. I understand that a good prep is in order before the base goes down. Should I have a laquer based primer or something different? Can I apply acrylic to it after application? well any info on this subject would be in great appreciation.... :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

The gloss black will be your base color. Mr Surfacer or any primer you normally use will be fine. Sand it down before the black gloss. Allow taht Base to cure a long time before alcladII.

Surface prep, Surface prep, Surface prep!

Paul what do you usually use for a primer?

Paul- Moon is right about surface prep, this paint will show every dip or blemish in the surface of your build, but you will love the texture of the paint! Another thing is dont forget the transparent colors~! i have used their transparent blue with MM acrylic silver with great results - though on a small build-

The gloss black will be your base color. Mr Surfacer or any primer you normally use will be fine. Sand it down before the black gloss. Allow taht Base to cure a long time before alcladII.

Surface prep, Surface prep, Surface prep!

Paul what do you usually use for a primer?
Truth be told, I use Krylon primer and I never have any problems with that. It doesnt lift and acrylic sticks really well also.

It should be fine with Krylon, you're going to want that surface as smooth and glossy as you can get it if you want a shiny finish. The Black gloss is glossy enough but I would sand the primer and get it smooth as well.

The trick to AlcladII is really light misting. A little goes a long way. I would do the Polished Aluminum first then use the duralumim for accents. Any seal coat will dull the shine. AlcadII doesn't need a sealer. But depending on the effect you want you can use it if you'd like. Fresh out of the wash rack and polished up look shouldn't get sealed.

Re: Zen and the art of Alclad II BIG PLANES

I just scored one of these in a trade...

B-47E_Strato_Jet_Hasegawa_13B72_voor.jpg

This is a BIG 1/72 jet- 18x19 inches, how would you spray this? long strokes, short? I have NO idea how much paint this could take, so i'll have to stock up, hopefully i'll start it mid summer. Thanks CR

Can I suggest that if you feel you want to seal your decals and washes in, I have used MM lacquer gloss and it's great. Like Alclad it's super thin and it won't dull your gloss at all. Not wanting to hijack your thread Paul but this one was sealed.

100_1107.jpg

Back