• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Zeitreisemaschinenwagen! - Build # 1

"The end of the track was approaching fast. Marty settled into the seat and glanced at the speed indicator, 84, 85, 86… the time circuits were starting to activate, 87, 88… he glanced once more through squinting eyes at the top time read out… “Dec. 14, 1942” Marty’s eyes went wide with terror as the light show started and he was gone.

Instantaneously, he was now rolling down a rail track, a light snow was falling and it looked as though it was dusk. He could see an urban area in the distance but wasn’t familiar with the landscape. A thick forest was on the left and a road on the right. How had the time readout changed? He recalled Doc muttering something about having to fix the time readout before they had gone back to 1955 from the future, the same glitch that sent Doc back to 1885. Marty tried to figure out the situation in his head but he didn’t have the Doc’s knowledge of the time machine. All he could figure was that somehow when the red log had ignited in the trains boiler and boosted the Delorean to 75 mph, it must have jostled something in the time circuits when the Delorean settled back on the tracks. What was he going to do now.

The Delorean came to a stop just short of the edge of the woods and Marty got out, trying to figure out his next steps. He noticed a simple wooden road sign in the rough shape of an arrow, “Potsdam 25 km”. Marty thought for a moment and then remembered the name and connected it to the date on the readout. A feeling of dread washed over him. Whatever caused the change in the time circuits not only transported him in time temporally, but somehow spatially as well. His fear increased as he heard the sound of vehicles approaching from behind him. Marty grabbed what he could carry from the car and ran for the woods as quickly as he could. He took a chance to glance back from the safety of the woods to see several grey vehicles stop next to the time machine. German soldiers were getting out of trucks to examine the Delorean. Marty continued to run as quickly and quietly through the woods as he could."

Kit arrived this week!

IMG_4141.JPG

The dangers of time travel!!

:bigrin::devilish:

Can't wait to start!

Last edited:
Start up pic! This build will be exempt from any prize drawings!!

IMG_4197.JPG

Looks like an interesting kit. Looking over the parts, I've learned quite a bit about Deloreans that I didn't know.

There are quite a few parts that won't be used since Aoshima made three different boxings to cover the 4 iterations of the Delorean in the movie.

Funny, a little over 20 years ago I had an opportunity to buy a Delorean for $14 K Canadian. It did need a lot of work but I had just started my job under contract, bought a second hand Ford F150 and didn't have much free cash. Should have taken out a loan at the time, would have been worth it!!

:bash: :facepalm: :smack:

Anyway, time to wash this baby up and get started!

I don't know if it had been worth it but it sure would have been neat to have.

:popcorn

They are more collectible now, might have been worth a little more but definitely would have been neat to have!

I might have to pick up another one of these kits and see if I can build a stock Delorean!

A friend of mine got a brand new one, it was a pretty cool ride. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it. :good:

A friend of mine got a brand new one, it was a pretty cool ride. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it. :good:

That's cool Mike! Aren't those new ones like $100K?? I hear they worked out all the problems the originals suffered from.

Been working on this this morning while everyone was still asleep. It's Canada Day here up north!

🇨🇦 🍉🍔🍰

Started to assemble the chassis and interior. Since this will be the rail version, there is no need for the pieces that actuate the flying mode.

D1.JPG

The rear deck and the flux capacitor

D2.JPG

The 1950's time circuit, I figure the German's would secure this better so I'm removing the straps

D3.JPG

D4.JPG

I'm going to remove the trim from the doors so I started taping them off and sanding the layer off

D5.JPG

Just about have this one gone. There is a little lip on the stainless steel panel just above the trim that I'll leave.

D6.JPG

Gotta go spend some time with the kids but maybe more tonight!

Are you going to add a Mr Fusion unit?

Back in 1981, they were expensive at around $25K USD, but the cool factor made up for it (I guess).

Back in 1981, they were expensive at around $25K USD, but the cool factor made up for it (I guess).

Of course! I'm building the model in the end of the third movie so it still had the Mr. Fusion unit. Besides, I don't think the German's had much plutonium lying around.

and it will be forever known as, "Herr Verschmelzung". :lol:

Sorry Mike, When you mentioned this I thought you meant one of the new ones they are making from the guy in Texas out of all the spare parts they acquired after Delorean closed down.

$25 K was still a lot for a car back then!

So, kids are at my folks, wife was working from home, dog was at doggy day care and I had the day to myself!

I spent a bit of time detailing the interior of this. I had painted the body German grey

D11.jpg

I mixed up a grey with a bit of medium blue in it to make the leather of the interior and sprayed that with various shades.

D12.JPG

Then worked a fair bit painting all the little knobs, buttons and wires

D13.JPG

D14.JPG

I took some lead wire and twisted 3 strands together to add the wire bundle on the passenger side. I should have painted them seperately and then twisted them together.

D15.JPG

Flux capacitor

D16.JPG

Rear deck with Mr. Fusion!

D17.JPG

And sprayed some semi gloss black down in the areas that needed it. next up will be dirtying up the interior a bit and masking the body for another coat of German grey and I'm going to try some of John's techniques for the grey at the start of his DAK campaign.

D18.JPG

Back