• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

yet another airbrush question!

kryptosdaddy

I'm spraying Tamiya XF-11 JN Green. I mixed it about 50/50 with alcohol- this has worked before with some greys and other acrylics.

I'm not getting fish eyes, I'm getting tiny paint dots. They spray over easily but i can't adjust them out with the nozzle. As far as I can tell this is only happening early in the spray.

I haven't tried thinning this with water YET. Thanks CR

You could try to give your airbrush a big cleaning and check out the needle and nozzle for damages...
It can be some paint is stucked to them also.
Use lacquer thinner on Tamiya Acrylics,you will be surprised how good this will work compared to the normal isopropyl alcohol thinners.

What kind of airbrush are you using,CR?

Greetings,Ron.

KRYPTO ,

:hmmm Almost sounds like a Moisture problem .... Do you have a Moisture Trap On your Compressor ? IMHO , the best place to put it would be right off of the Compressor & them hook your Air Line up to it .

I use one like this it's a Combination Moisture trap/Regulator

http://www.amazon.com/Airbrush-Compressor-REGULATOR-Moisture-Filter/dp/B00171BFKK

314BJKsjh7L.jpeg

Thanks- I'm using a Paache H with a Testors blue mini comp- the comp does not have a moisture trap. The thing works great with Alclad and the pre mixes and I was able to decant some bright orange spray and some krylon primers and it worked fine- i even diluted some MM flat black, no problems there either .

I just cleaned the airbrush yesterday. Turns out that orange did leave something, but the grey i used last night sprayed fine.

It just happened with the green. I'll try the lacquer thinner. CR

KYRPTO,

Good to hear. Although a Moisture trap may be something to consider - as a fail safe ?

I love Lacquer Thinner ... It cleans everything. The AB's that I use - Badger Vega 2000 & the Aztec - It does fine to clean with. Although I have heard that If you use Windex ( and I suspect that it's th Ammonia in it) over time will degrade the washers in a Badger AB ...

Although I have heard that If you use Windex ( and I suspect that it's th Ammonia in it) over time will degrade the washers in a Badger AB ...

Andy warned me about this, I have blown out the seal on ABs before but I suspect it was the MEK I was using to clean it... :blink

I use Windex to clean out the AB and flush with water as Andy suggested. Works fine for me so far.

When I clean the Paache H I just take the nozzle and the adjuster out and clean those. I'll pop any buildup in the nozzle out with a torch tip cleaner (one of my plumbing tools)and wipe the exterior mixing (?) head with a lacquer dipped q-tip.

When I need to flush the thing I'll use either pure alcohol or lacquer thinner, depending on the paint sprayed earlier. but that decanted orange was a bitch to remove!

One thing I have noticed about my old tried but true AB is if i leave it alone for a day or so and adjust the spray to air only, the tip usually clears the nozzle, thats why i bought the H. The design is 80 years old? It's newbie proof! lol

Don't forget mine is an external mix brush, only thing hitting the internal seals is air...

The moisture trap sounds like a great investment.

Ammonia will also eat into anything metal over time if its not flushed with distilled water after using windex :pinch:

KDaddy, I think its also a moisture problem and the spots are tiny water droplets with paint splattering out and as you say its usually at the start of the spraying session

Id run the airbrush fr a little while before adding the paint

It also may mean you have to pick and choose times that you are spraying ie external weather conditions pick a time with least humidity in the air

This is true. I learned the hard way spraying transparent blue when i sprayed it into a clear dish. After that I'll always start off to the side and work across. You have to understand, I'm 48 7/8 lol. I grew up with rattle cans and 8 weeks ago i get my first AB- it's an experience and i love being able to spray anything i can blend ect onto the project. Too cool, and just another device to learn.

In my experience, 50/50 is too thick for Tamiyas, try 60/40 or even 70/30 (more thinner than paint), with my setup, around 18-20 psi for base coats, less for camo. I use the Tamiya X-20A to thin base coats, Tamiya Lacquer thinner for camo lines. Good luck, takes some time and practice to find the best setting for your airbrush.

One more thing: rubbing alcohol comes in 71% and 92% strengths- use the 92%! It makes a huge difference in spraying Tamiya. My paint of choice!

RubbingAlcohol.jpg

I found that out! Thanks Chuck- my main problem is spraying greens, doesn't matter if its olive, OD Green, JP Green ect,they just seem thicker than the other Acrylics.

And thanks to you too Mike- I'm learning, making a mess, but its going on...lol

B) here it comes......

:stinker Are you ready.......

:sick: This is really a bad pun

KryptoD

It ain't easy being green :yipee

You're right- I bet if you ground Kermit into paste and thinned him down a few times, he would still be chunky when sprayed. What is it about green? lol

Chuck and guys down south, I dont know if you can get it down there, but if you ask the pharmacist you can get 99.9% rubbing alcohol over the counter. Must be over 18 up here. I use the other stuff for cleaning and the good stuff for thinning.
James

I can get 91% off the shelf... :v

OR I can go see my cousins for some 200 proof stuff... (y)

There's a Mason jar of the stuff on Moon Pup's bench! :yipee :yipee :yipee :yipee :yipee :yipee :yipee :yipee :yipee :yipee :yipee :yipee :yipee :yipee :yipee :yipee :yipee :yipee :yipee :yipee :yipee

Chuck and guys down south, I dont know if you can get it down there, but if you ask the pharmacist you can get 99.9% rubbing alcohol over the counter. Must be over 18 up here. I use the other stuff for cleaning and the good stuff for thinning.
James

Oh I can get 99.9% for free, my granddad has a still out behind his orchard. Down south you either make whiskey or deliver it- we do both! lol Sorry James, couldn't resist...I have not seen isopropil (sp) higher than 77 or so %.

Back