• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

XB-70A, Cyberhobby 1/200

Old Dog

Yep, 1/200 :gogo I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment.

Here are the obligatory start photos

b70start1.jpg

b70start2.jpg

I think a trip to the Air Force Museum might be in order to check on some details.

Glossy white & dark NMF.... wow, Gary you really pushing the masochist agenda here friend !! :notworthy

Ian.

Yes Ian, this one is a out of my comfort zone in a couple of areas. Just for fun I removed most of the parts from their sprues and did some test fitting. Everything fit really well, it could almost pass for a snap together kit. The piece that blends the fuselage into the upper wing snapped in so tight I'm afraid to pull it back out, no glue necessary. The tails and canards fit a little loose and I have a piece of tape holding the forward fuselage on. The forward fuselage is hollow molded in one piece and there is a guide to allow sliding the cockpit interior in on.

b70-b01.jpg

b70-b02.jpg

I have decided to build this as the museum piece it is today with both Air Force and NASA markings.

b70-ref1.jpg

Lots of glossy white paint and black trim. Good photos abound but I need to see it up close to satisfy my curiosity about gear wells and other minor area colors. The instructions call for the gear struts to be painted silver but I pretty sure they are white as well and the tires have black treads but the side walls I believe have a silver heat dissipating material on them. All things I need to see up close and personal.

The only thing I will probably modify on the kit is to droop the control surfaces on the canards. These are real thin and I think I can just score and bend them. This photo shows them plus it's a good reference for decal placement. The Dragon in the background looks a little out of place.

b70-ref2.jpg

I don't have any gloss white on hand and only a small amount of any white. I'm considering doing it in flat white then gloss coating it as my experience with gloss white usually ends up with my putting way too much on. It should give me some good experience for another NAA product I want to build.

Thanks for looking.

I've learned how to do the gloss coats while trying these damn mirror finishes on my NMF failures. Start light and build up slowly. But glossing over a flat color works well also.

Really looking forward to this. :popcorn

Such an elegant looking airframe . I wish it would have been flown a lot more.

Hummmm that troublesome gloss white color . Shame the Acrylic Gunze paints are not readily available as they are semi gloss to start.

Would be easy to get it glossy and they probably would not yellow.

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks guys, not a lot to show so far, I built up the interior, all four pieces. They are so small it was difficult to get the camera to focus on them. Not much to look at but not much will be seen either.

b-70-b01.jpg

b-70-b02.jpg

The instrument clusters look a bit like dominoes :laugh:

Weather conditions, snow squalls with possible white out conditions, cancelled my planned field trip to see the original today but tomorrow looks like a go :yipee

Primer on

b70-b03.jpg

Color on

b70-b04.jpg

I'm leaving the tail planes off until after decals as I didn't feel they would survive otherwise.

The plan is gloss coats today, decals and fiddly bits tomorrow with a photo finish before midnight.

Back