• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Working w/Pastels, a lost art Update 11/26/2019

Working with Pastels, a lost art?

Michael, As I've watched the hobby evolve, sometimes some good things are phased out. Maybe they are no longer considered high tech, but I still find times when they work better than with newer techniques.

Bob

Too true.

Bob,

Might I also add one other style; once the pastel weathering is applied add another thinned out wash of raw umber and black oil paint mixed with white spirit over the pastel work.The wash is to be almost translucient, milky wash as you do not need too much of the dark colours. Then watch whilst drying the different shades of pastel and wash bring out the detail to your model. Use on lower running gear of tanks and in wheel wells.

It mainly aims at providing a realism appearance with the pastels bonding into recessed areas.Sort of gives a built up dirt appearance.

Michael

Michael, As I've watched the hobby evolve, sometimes some good things are phased out. Maybe they are no longer considered high tech, but I still find times when they work better than with newer techniques.

Bob

Too true.

Bob,

Might I also add one other style; once the pastel weathering is applied add another thinned out wash of raw umber and black oil paint mixed with white spirit over the pastel work.The wash is to be almost translucient, milky wash as you do not need too much of the dark colours. Then watch whilst drying the different shades of pastel and wash bring out the detail to your model. Use on lower running gear of tanks and in wheel wells.

It mainly aims at providing a realism appearance with the pastels bonding into recessed areas.Sort of gives a built up dirt appearance.

Michael

Sounds interesting!

I'll have to give that a try, maybe on one of my next Shermans!

Thanks,

Bob

I too, say thanks for the "re-mem-ber-er" on this technique. So, some day when I finish a model and have painted a model, I'll be able to give this a try. ;)

I too, say thanks for the "re-mem-ber-er" on this technique. So, some day when I finish a model and have painted a model, I'll be able to give this a try. ;)

It can't hurt Steve,

I'll try anything once! Look at it this way. It will either open up new worlds for you or.... you'll be cussin' me! :yipee

Bob

I just might have several armor models approaching the finish line this week. That will be a golden opportunity to try this out, provided I get them there. We'll see.

I use the weathering powders set and love it,but still havent use pastels, are the powders the same as the pastels? or at least the same result?

Abdin

I use the weathering powders set and love it,but still havent use pastels, are the powders the same as the pastels? or at least the same result?

Abdin

Hi Abdin,

Pastels and pigments, at least to me, are very similar. I could use either interchangeably and probably not notice. I've been using pastels since the 1980s, and, after trying the more expensive pigments, went back to pastels simply because I could see no advantage.

Bob

Here is another use of pastels. In building the train station in Logistics, I needed a brightly colored marble, and I used pastels to achieve that. I just finished doing some of the marbleizing. I took photos step by step. I remember on a couple of other dioramas I used marble and several viewers asked about how. So, here's an update with a bit of tutorial included.

I'll start with the two columns. These are the two that will be on either side of the interior wall of the front of the Hauptnahnhof. I wanted a different marble for the trim pieces with more colors yet will still go with the pink background. So, I start with the column with a medium brown .01 pen and make some veins.

9~3.JPG

Then using a black 01 pen, I make adjacent lines to the brown veins. I don't make them the same but in a similar path.

99~6.JPG

I started by painting the columns with Camouflage gray, then a cloud pattern of matt white. Then, after the brown and black veins complete, I use artist's rectified Turpentine. Note: I use that product in every aspect of thinning paint, as a cleaner, everything you would use a thinner for. I just prefer it to all other forms of solvents and thinners. I'm thinking other thinners will work, but I can't say for certain as I have never tried them. Rectified turpentine is a very aggressive solvent!

I wet a brush in the A.R.T. and then go over the veins until they begin to bleed out a bit. Then set aside to dry.

999~6.JPG

Then I use my piece of plywood with sandpaper taped sand side up and rub the pastels to create the powder I will use to apply the colors. In this case. I used black, brown, raw umber, burnt Sienna and light red. I make five piles of powder, then, using a soft brush, pick up the powder and more or less "paint" the pastels where I want them. After applying, I hold the column over a waste basket and blow off the excess powder.Here is how they look after that.

9999~5.JPG

When i get the colors where I want them, I remove the excess powder and spray with a high gloss clear enamel. Gently so as not to disturb the colors. A light coat first to set the pastels, then after that dries a heavier coat to get the gloss I am after.

99999~4.JPG

Here are two other angle shots so you can see the gloss.

999999~3.JPG

99999999999.JPG

Then I mix some red and black acrylic paint to get a brownish maroon for the base. Note that I have also painted the Corinthian capitals a flat black in preperation for the Gold Leaf paint.

99999999.JPG

9999999.JPG

And here are the completed marble columns.

999999999999.JPG

Now for the base blocks the columns will set on. I made these out of Lego pieces as when glued together and veneered with sheet plastic, they will make a sturdy base for the resin columns.

Again, the camouflage base coat with the matt white cloud pattern. Then the brown pen. In the past, I have used both pens, (Available in art stores), and double and triple ought brushes. Either will work, the pens are faster.

8~3.JPG

On these I started the turpentine before the black pen, it really doesn't make a difference.

88~6.JPG

888~4.JPG

8888~3.JPG

Then I added the black veins and some more blurring.

88888~1.JPG

Now comes the pastels. I use exactly the same colors as on the columns.

888888~1.JPG

A little more brown, burnt sienna and blurring.

8888888~0.JPG

Then, after I get the pastels where I want them, I blow off any excess and set aside.

After both are complete, I give them the clear gloss treatment.

88888888~0.JPG

Then, fast forward to the arches and their bases in place on the building facade.

9999~6.JPG

I still have the upper, smaller columns to do as well as a few other things, but I use the same technique throughout!

Thanks for looking in!

Bob

Back