• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

[WIP] WH40K Imperial Fist Terminator (27/05)

Greetings and salutations,

Long time no see :Hiay Been a bit busy lately with work and life and stuff, so haven't been round much. Had a bit of leave over the past couple of weeks due to the arrival of daughter number 2 :yipee So this one seems much easier going that daughter number 1, so I even have a bit of free time during the day. (y)

I haven't painted a mini for about 6 years, but got into them when I was suffering from modelling burn out back in '06. I thought I'd have a crack at one again and see if I can get back into modelling again. Now Space Marines haven't really been my preferred Warhammer 40K subject, but I got this figure along with a White Dwarf magazine a few years ago. The figure itself is not one of GW's greatest, and the pose is probably a bit boring to most, but hey, he's there and I need a subject so what the heck.

I also decided that I'd like to give this figure to a friend who's been a great mentor to me, who happens to be an occasional SM Imperial Fists player, hence the decision to paint in that chapter's colours (with a bit of artistic interpretation from myself of course ;) ).

Anyway, enough talk. Here's where I'm at. This is about a week's work. The base is made up of cork layers, "plastruct" bits, and wire. You may note the base consists of 2 parts: the playable base; and a display base. Both base(s) and figure have been primed and painting should commence tomorrow when daughter 1 is at creche.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

And a composite showing some other angles

image.jpg

I should apologise for the quality of the images. As I want to keep this all about the model, and get my modelling mo-jo back, I'm trying not to think about things like photographing every teeny tiny step with my DSLR, so I'm just grabbing the odd shot with the iPhone. When I finish the figure I'll drag out the photo cube and all the other stuff for decent pics :)

C&C welcome :geek

Rudi :fencing

[WIP] WH40K Imperial Fist Terminator

Howdy Rudi, nice to see you around again. Congratulations on Daughter #2 (y)

The camera on my phone is better quality than my first digital camera, amazing how quickly things progress sometimes.

the WH dude is looking good, lots of action there just with him standing there. Can't way to see your next update. Get some paint on that sucker...

Thanks MP. Really been enjoying putting that base together actually. Got all the paints lined up, "recipes" sorted, now just gotta *do* it :blink

Funny thing, when I was going through all my old paints (which actually all still seem okay) I realised that Citadel have actually replaced the paint range I had from them... twice over! :eek:hmy: :lol:

I noticed that, I had some gun metal from them but I don't see it in that name anymore. What I got that I thought was close, is not close. can't remember the name of it right now.

Good to see you again, Rudi! You're off to a great start! (y)

Congratulations Rudy and Mrs and Miss #1 :yipee . And neato (y) (y) (y) Looks very cool, and the base looks most excellent.
James

Great to see you here, Daddy Rudy! A build this epic deserves some mood enhancement.

Hi folks,

Thanks for all the comments.

I went back to work last week Monday, so not much in the way of modelling has been done, but here's a small update nonetheless. The base was undercoated in black before I started laying the base coats, using that unfashionable and old school technique known as drybrushing. The figure has received about 7 coats of yellow thus far and will probably receive another 2 before I'm totally happy with the base coat. Then the fun will begin :)

Just a reminder that pics are being taken with an iPhone, so they probably aren't the best.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hey Rudy, Looks good from what I can see, have you got any bigger pictures?

[WIP] WH40K Imperial Fist Terminator (13/05)

Damn its nice Would like to know how you made that base though (y) :popcorn

No worries, MP.

Dave, which bit about making the base do you want to know about :)

it's pretty much just layers of cork which I've chipped away at round the sides or where I need craters. Rubble is the cork chippings. And a few random and not-so-random I-beams, wires, etc. The grate at the top, I just drilled some off-set holes in a piece of plastic card. The chain is a fine (and cheap!) jewellery chain. Most of that you can see in the pics in the first post.

Then I primed using Tamiya Fine Grey Primer, and under coated with a Tamiya Black out a rattle can. From that point it's getting into the actual painting. All cork (let's call it dirt for now, it'll change as we move along) was dry brushed (how "old school" am I? ;) ) with Vallejo Model Colour 822 German Camo Black Brown, and metals dry brushed gun metal. At the moment it all seems the same, but through a series of washes and dry brushing there'll be noticeable tonal differences in the dirt, as well as metals.

How cool is that. Neat figure, and outstanding base. Really easy too from the sounds of it. Fantastic Rudi (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)
James

Hiya James,

It wasn't as difficult working with cork as I thought (first time corker here ;) ). I think I made it more difficult by wanting the 2 part base. It's a really tight fit, and I think removing the playable base repeatedly may cause damage to either part over time. Not sure if I'll go that route again.

I'll probably put another 2 thin coats of yellow (I'm using Vallejo Model Colour 948 Golden Yellow for those interested) on before calling it on the base coat. Then I'll need to block in the other colours. :)

Being back at work has put a real damper on my modelling time. :bang head

Anyhoo, managed to grab a few minutes over the weekend to work on the base. Almost there, just a few more finer details, final dry brushing, highlights and such. You should be able to see where I'm going with it though.

image.jpg

Now to build up my motivation to get back to that yellow basecoat :zen

p.s. I should add that I had to brighten the photos a bit when editing, they were rather dark...

(y)

Really nice Rudy. What does the texture of the cork look like now? I can't really see in these shots.

(y) Nice Rudi! I never tried that technique, looks like it's worth a try... :hmmm
:popcorn
//Mats

Hey Bob,

Yeah, sorry, the photos aren't great. Taken in kitchen yesterday morning using only the range hood lighting :java the texture of the cork is still visible, looks like rubble I guess, as I've really just used several thin layers of dry brushing - primer and undercoats notwithstanding.

Hi Mats

Thanks mate. I assume you mean the cork technique? I recommend it, I'll defo be trying it again (y)

Back