• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

WIP Sherman Iwo Jima

Juliano

Hi,

This is the first thread I start here so let´s see what heppens :)

Here are some pics of my WIP Sherman it is a 3rd Tank Battalion´s D Company M4A2. The references came from the book ´Tank Warfare on Iwo Jima` by Mr.David Harper.

iwo_001.jpg

iwo_002.jpg

iwo_003.jpg

The base kit is Dragon M4A2 Tarawa, the dark green parts are left overs from a Tasca Firefly. I´ve done both the drum-style intake and root exhaust from sheet styrene, the rebar rail is also plastic rod.
I do not plan to display it with the drums in place. AFAIK, it will be necessary to seal the gun mount and ventilators to correctly display it, so I´m just using them for my own reference.
This is my WIP so far. Next I would like to add some jerry can racks but not sure about it´s placement and style configuration.
That´s all for now. Hope you enjoy it also please let me know what you think and how I could improve it.
Best regards,

Juliano :)

Very nice Sherm. The Jerrycan racks, I would think could be done most any place. From what I've been reading about U.S. Armor once it was in the field the crews did what they needed and wanted to within reason. I notice you have different color road wheels, different kits I guess, is this different styles of wheels? If that's the case, why worry about the jerrycan mounts when you already have field mod handrails also.

Hey, I like it!

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your words.
Pics from the tank at Iwo Jima show many different road wheels arrangements so I decide to show mine like that to make it a bit more interesting. The same goes to the rail around the rear deck, it is said as a exclusive feature of the 3rd tank battalion.
About the jerry cans: some of the pics in the reference book show some field-design racks for single jerrycans placed on the rear hull plate. This is also another nice and distinctive feature I want to show, will start working on it soon.

Later,
Juliano

Whoaa :woohoo:

That is a very nice looking Sherman .

Look forward to more progress shots

Cheers
Michael :)

Hey nice Juliano!
From what I've heard, you have a great reference to work from with Dave Harper's book and wil look forward to more more more! ;)
Brad

Well Juliano your Sherman is superb , if you have any questions with the Jerry Can racks why dont you ask David Harper , he is a moderator here and goes under the user name D'Man .

David is a really nice guy and will do anything to help a fellow modeller with enquiries. The book is brilliant and I even have a Iwo Jima Sherman project I must get round to one day !

Jenny :kiss:

Awesome Stuff here...thanks for sharing. I'll be following your build closely. I love those USMC Shermans.

Hi,

Thank you all for the feedback. I´m glad you are enjoying it.
Jenny - thank you for the tip, nice to know that David Harper is around. Sure a got a couple of questions for him!
Later,

Juliano

Keep in mind Marine Corps armor usually travelled "light" with minimal external storage. The islands were not that big, and they sometimes had to "hose" each other off with the co-axial MG or the bow MG. Nobody wanted their personal effects perforated. :unsure:

Keep in mind Marine Corps armor usually travelled "light" with minimal external storage.

AgentG, thanks for the reminder! ;)
The picture I´m using for reference shows a very clean tank moving along a column. Can´t spot no stowage/spares over it. Her it is, tank no. 66:

m2_iwo_1_20091208_1196740453.jpg

Best regards,

Juliano

Hi,

Thank you all for the comments!
Here is a small up-date, just to show how it looks with the tracks in place. I´ve also added the jerry-can racks and the tow cable.

iwo_005.jpg

iwo_006.jpg

The racks... I must tell you I don´t have any picture showing them like this, but some pics on David Harper´s book make me believe that they are a possibility (can I call this an ´educated guess`?)...each rack will hold up to three jerry cans. Any thoughts?
The model already had a coat of grey primer, now it´s time to fix some small imperfections.
This is my WIP so far, hope you all enjoy it.
Cheers,

Juliano

I really like the way your build is going. I can't wait to see it with paint. It is beond coincidence to me that you should be building a Iwo Jima tank as my local IPMS club had a Iwo Jima veteran speak to our members a couple of months ago. He mentioned the racks and said they would normally hold 2 or 3 cans (can't remember for sure) but that other crews would sometimes take cans from other tanks if they needed them. I can't wait to see this model when it is finished.

Very nice effort you put in the scratchbuilding! But where are the pictures with the paintjob ;) Looking forward to see more!

Now that's lookin' good!

The racks would be cobbled together in a staging area or sometimes aboard ship, so yours look as good as any.

Paint, I say, paint this puppy man!

:silly:

Hi,

Thank you all for your comments, I´m glad you enjoy it.
Right now I had filled some seams with putty and maybe it will be ready for painting next monday...I also can´t wait to start painting it! It become one of those projects you can´t wait to finish...I will try to post some more pictures soon.

Kaleu - Thank you very much for the info! I fell better now since what I ´guess` has some serious support, hope someday there will be pics to confirm it and make things easier.

Cheers,
Juliano

Hey Juliano I like your work here mate. An interesting conversion and I reckon you have a pretty good reference at hand. In your archive photo, what do you make to painted on the transmission housing?
Oh, you may want to add a drain hole in the base of both the antenna housings on the turret bustle.
Brad

Brad,

Oh, you may want to add a drain hole in the base of both the antenna housings on the turret bustle.

Thank you for the reminder, I had overlooked this!
Just to let youknow, the model is already painted and I will start with the decals just after the Holidays....Pics coming soon!
Happy Holidays! See you all in 2010

Best regards from Brasil,
Juliano

WOW another great looking Sherman. Now this is giving me ideas for a nice Sherman wreck. Looking forward to those pics of the painting.

Rob

Back