• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Whitewashed Initial Production Tiger I WIP

DioRandy

Here's the result of my first attempt at the hairspray technique for whitewashing Dragon's Initial Production Tiger I (6252). It wasn't quite what I expected, but I guess it's acceptable. The figures are a combination of Tristar, Verlinden and Tank. I still have plenty of work to do, but it's progressing.
IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg
IMG_0014.jpg
IMG_0300.jpg
IMG_0305.jpg

Randy , I think you've done a mutha beautiful white wash job .

I have to laugh when people say the white wash on your vehicle doesn't look good or " correct " , ............
As far as I'm concerned I'd critique the actual build before I'd ever say anything about ones interpretation of the application or weathering of white wash .

There is only one rule with white wash , do what you just did , ....... it looks great .
A lot of people say it doesn't look uniform , or pretty , bullsh$t , this stuff was applied by half frozen soldiers with brooms and rags in some cases , [ aside from factory or repair area applications ] ......... so in effect , ........ it is what it was !!!!

Don't sell yourself short on your white wash work , ...... it looks very good !!!!

I could post refs. on this subject all day and each one will look unique , ugly and cool , .... all in the same way !!!

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-268-0176-312.jpg

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-268-0176-172.jpg

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-268-0176-292.jpg

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-268-0176-332.jpg

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-268-0178-132.jpg

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-268-0178-062.jpg

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-268-0178-072.jpg

It looks good to me. That many people crawling over that beast would definately wear the finish. In reality it was applied by brush, rag, treelimb, heck who knows what, so you did fine!

I have to laugh sometimes at how we percieve the final finish. We take great care and airbrush perfect camo when the real tanks were just sprayed willy nilly, usually in the field.

G

Thanks, Cheyenne
I appreciate the kind words and the vast array of real-time examples you took the time to provide. The hairspray technique itself seemed rather imposing after reading some horror stories related to it, but I gave it a shot, anyway. I was afraid I'd destroy the kit and kick myself in the ass for even attempting it. All-in-all, I'm quite satisfied with the result.
I still have a few washes and the dry brushing to do before it's complete, so I'm sure it will look more field-weathered when it's done. Actually, it's going to be pretty much covered in mud, too.
Randy

Thanks, agentg
I intended to depict the effects of the crew and armed men having crawled all over the beast in addition to that of weather. I guess it worked.
Randy

Hey, Cheyenne
Those are some great mud shots! I wasn't thinking that much mud, but who knows? Mud covers a myriad of mistakes made during the assembly of armored vehicles. Those who build flying thingys don't have that luxury, unless they're depicting a crash-and-burn scenario. lol

Works for me Randy. I said the same thing,that it wasn't what I expected too. :laugh:
Looks like it takes a lot of practice to control and get the results you expect.

Yours looks as good as any to me.
Tony Lee :)

Randy,
Looks great to me... I have some Soviet Armor just waiting to meet
it... :laugh: :lol:
Love the effect and all the figures, I'm sure with those washes and
such it will be even better, keep posting the pics.
I guess you can take your pick of all the reference sent to you
and still come up with a hundred other ones.
I like that white wash is just that. Temporary white paint that
wears and washes off... :blink :eek:hmy: Hmm.
Let your imagination run wild.
Shawn

Hi Randy this does it for me, looks bloody good. Would like to see the finished pictures with the figures in it.
And Cheyenne those photos are amazing.

Thanks Gatto

Back