• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

What I Did On My Day Off

Iron Mike

Master At Arms And Resident Curmudgeon
Not long ago, a friend showed me some photos of a wood fired pizza oven that he was considering. I showed it to my wife, a former manager of a pizza restaurant and pizza maker deluxe (just ask Chris or Rhino). She immediately said "I want one!" So, we ordered one! It came yesterday and I spent an hour this AM assembling it and finding the source for wood pellets. When she came home, it was ready to go.

IMG_8625.JPG

IMG_8627.JPG

IMG_8624.JPG

We loaded it up with apple wood pellets and fired it up, within 20 minutes, we were cookin'!

IMG_8628.JPG

First victim!

IMG_8629.JPG

90 seconds later...

IMG_8630.JPG

IMG_8631.JPG

IMG_8632.JPG

It tasted as good as it looks!

You can find out more here. http://uuni.net/

Pure awesomeness. B) :drinks

The Uuni was $299USD with free shipping, not certain which source she purchased it from and the wire cart came from Lowe's, around $65USD. I told her we needed something for it to sit on, that I wasn't going to stand on my head to make pizza. The little cart is almost perfect size and height, the wheels are a big plus. I may change the top from bamboo to a tile to be a little more heat resistant, but that's another day.

The pizzas really do take about 90 seconds to fully cook, convection is a wonderful thing. There will be follow up reports as they come in. :D

:drinks

They suggest lighting the pellets with a propane torch :eek:hyeah and to check the pellets level again in 5-10 minutes. I added another scoop of pellets and we were ready to cook at about the 15 minute elapsed time mark. It takes much longer to get started than to cook, but what the heck? It also took a couple hours to fully cool off, so be careful to check it before you bring it inside. The only downside I see to this is I don't have a covered area to cook under if it rains.

They suggest lighting the pellets with a propane torch :eek:hyeah and to check the pellets level again in 5-10 minutes. I added another scoop of pellets and we were ready to cook at about the 15 minute elapsed time mark. It takes much longer to get started than to cook, but what the heck? It also took a couple hours to fully cool off, so be careful to check it before you bring it inside. The only downside I see to this is I don't have a covered area to cook under if it rains.

So light the fire and go prep the pizza/s then it should be good to cook.

Pretty much. The fire has to be really hot to get that rolling flame, so you have to be sure to check the pellet level as it heats up. Michelle did the prep, I tended the fire and the beer. B)

There's some meat recipes at the Uuni site, may have to try that too in the not too distant future.

Back