• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

What got You started in Scale Modeling ??

I started building models about 11years ago when my wife suggested I get a plane mobile to hang from the ceiling of my son’s bedroom. I was having a look around the local toy shop for something appropriate when I stumbled upon an Airfix 1/24 Spitfire that was on special, thought to myself “I’ll make my own bloody mobile”, brought it & that was that, I’m hooked!!

That's a big danged mobile! :woohoo:

I started modeling at ripe old age of 8 years old(39 years). My first model was a 1/72 Monogram P-36A(Yeah a Wingy thing) which cost only 75 cents or 3 weeks allowance. I have modeled off and on ever since. My Uncle was my main inspiration, he was always building something. Shep Pain had a big impact on me, but I couldn't figure out how he did the things he did. I have come a long way since those days, learned a lot and met a lot people in the modeling world some good some bad and some I'm still finding out about. I will say this I have leaned the most from my model club and this web site and though it all I am still learning. Maybe I'll make good model yet.

Terry B)

Hi there.

I can't remember exactly when I started building models but I was quite young and I started because I have always had a love of military history and models were a fantastic way to se things in 3 D. I built the old Airfix 1/600 scale Warships that were involved in the Hunt For The Bismarck (although HMS Hood is a 1930's version and not the 1941 configuration) and also the Graf Spee from the Battle Of The River Plate and the Scharnhorst from The Battle Of North Cape although the Airfix kit of the Scharnhorst was before she was fitted with the Atlantic bow.

Years later I got to build models for the Airfix distributor in the Toronto, Ontario, Canada area. Payment was given in kits. That was a great time as I got enough Airfix B-17 kits to build and entire squadron that I formed up into a 16 plane combat box and hung from my ceiling along with many German and Allied fighters.

Later on I gravitated to armour and the Airfix and Heller Sailing Ships Of The Battle Line (from whence the term Battleship derived) and later yet I started into the then new Tamiya 1/35 scale kits. I fondly remember the early Tamiya kits with the twin electric motors and remote-control battery box. Those kits led to a lot of discussions with my dad about his experiences during WW2 in Europe and further wetted my appetite for armour and softskin vehicles.

I also dabbled in figures and I used a lot of the Airfix Napoleonic figures to build myself a wonderful chess set.

Now I build mostly 1/35 scale armour and figures with a strong interest in the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF)but also some 1/48 scale fighters that were used by the RCAF during WW2 and the 1950's RCN aircraft.

I also like to build scenic bases and/or dioramas to pose my models with.

I consider the IDF M-51 Sherman to be the penultimate development of the Sherman tank.

Finally, I do have a few kits of modern MBT's (British Challenger & US M1 Abrams amongst them)just to show how the tank has developed since the female, male and hermaphrodite tanks of WW1.

I find it exceedingly ironic that the Canadian Armed Forces replaced their Centurion tanks (designed to destroy German Tigers) with the first complete German tank design of post WW2 the Leopard 1. That has got to be one of the most ironic events in military purchases.

Cheers from Peter

I remember starting modelling as a kid when we used to build the Matchbox kits and we would use the snooker table as the landing strip.

I reckon I had a break of 20 years before getting back into aircraft building as I wanted a hobby to keep me busy

I have been modelling since my late 20's and can't see myself stopping. I tired of aircraft and went into ship building but then got myself the Revell T34 and the rest has been history. My mate yes I am better at armour modelling than aircraft which is entirely correct

Dad built kits when I was growing up and I can remember him building the ERevell 32 scale Mirage III, Airfix 24 scale Spitfire, 72 scale Hercules and B29. There was a big scale Hurricane in their as well but I am not sure who prodcued this, Revell maybe.

Wish I still had some of those old kits as they are pieces of modelling history now

My story is pretty much the same as most of you i had the normal start building a few models with my dad as a youngster mostly ships :blush: then at about 10 i built my first on my own an Airfix series 1 Spitfire in a plastic bag (showing my age)and got hooked, after that i saved my pocket money 25p per week and built loads of planes then i discovered Matchbox 1/76 scale tanks and they even had a little base with them :laugh:i then worked my way up to Tamiya and started with a jeep(which became my first diorama) i was hooked on armour then at about 16 i discovered girls,beer and the need for money to indulge in the two aformentioned vices which took me away from the hobby as did military service (armour what else).I didnt lay hands on a kit for years untill one day while away on a course for work and bored of sitting in a dingy hotel room i picked up a copy of Military in Scale on the cover was a diorama of a German half track towing an 88 over a railway tunnel by Phil Stutchinskas i brought the mag and the next day i brought the Tamiya 7 tonner and the 88 and i have never looked back.
i joined a club (with some fantasic modelers in it including Phil Stut who had unknown to him got me back into modeling)and spent a great deal of my pay and time on the hobby ever since and do you know what i have enjoyed every second :gogo

Interesting stories folks.

I built lots of models when I was a kid, eventually I was making Tamiya and Italeri models, figures and dioramas. My brother and I would drool over the racks of cool Verlinden stuff at the hobby shops. I quit building when I was 15.

Then, about five years ago my wife and I were visiting friends and our host showed me his office with bookshelves filled with 1/35 dioramas. I was so impressed that he brought out a brand new Famo in the box and gave it to me. It was like a drug pusher offering the junkie the first hit for free. I built it with crazy glue and brush painted Tamiya acrylics.

How neat is that, getting in a club with the person who inspired you to pick it up again.

Ted, you still got that Famo?

Heres my story

aged 5 or 6,... airfix spitfires hurricanes with hot needle bullet holes

I was totally amazed when I opened up for the first time Tamiya catalogue circa 1976 and saw those wonderful dioramas they used to have in the centre pages

and now on and off since those times and only recently really started doing stuff properly especially figures

(y)

ANDY,

Those Dio's in there were Great ! I remember one year They had a Moto-Cross scene with some bikes coming over a big hill ! Awesome Stuff !! & of course the Armor Dio's !!

I still have a couple of Their catalogs from the Mid '80's !

ERIK

I started modeling when i was 7 or 8 i'm 15 now :laugh: it all started with a viedo game :evil: it was comacne 4 basicly u went around blowing stuff up :woohoo: anyway i was hooked on this game and one day in town i looked in the window of the news agents and there was this helicopter form that very game by revell in 1:72 i fell in love with it and begged my mumm to get it for me, when we got to the counter the chap said do u ahve the glue and paint? i looked at my mum thinking crap thats it it's a no and it'll go back on he shelf :eek:hmy: but it didn't we got the paint ( olive draba nd gloss black) and of course the glue we wnet home and built it :D it wasnt to bad for a first job and i've been hocked since :silly: since then i have meet some great people and modlers including phil stutcinskas and spencer pollard :notworthy i started going to the local model club and meet some awersome people ( Tim and Keith )Tim owns a local hobby shop (affinty models)which i go to ever saturday and spend my pocket money :laugh: they have all have helped me along and got me up and running with my airbrush and a big thank you to my mum who ahs givern up her shed for my hobby :blush:

well thats my story anyway :blink

Ted, you still got that Famo?

I do. I'm building a panzer IV for it to tow and then it'll go in a dio. Thanks for asking. Here's a shot of it before I learned about the macro setting on my camera.

NewCam-14.jpg

Back