• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Well that sucked.

ausf

Master at Arms
I thought I was in double secret probation.

After having to reset my computer to an older OS, I lost all my saved passwords and couldn't login here. Every few days I'd try to get the change password email resent but it never came, that was if I could get past proving I wasn't a bot.

Finally Bob rescued me, thanks Pup.

Haven't been doing much kit wise, just a lot of bench rearranging, but I did finally get to look into getting serious about macro lenses. Turns out, this vintage manual Nikkor lens I bought a few years ago for $40 as an animation lens is also a very good macro lens when used with extension tubes.

So, a tube set later, my humble Canon Rebel, an old lens (and the included Canon 18-50mm) were put to the test.

I grabbed that 1/35 Tamiya head I was messing around with to get the eyes (it was at the bottom of a drawer, all scratched up) and snapped some photos. I didn't use any special lighting, just my $5 Ikea desk lamp.

The Nikkor with 12mm of extension:

p1.jpg

The Canon lens with all three tubes:

p3.jpg

And finally, the Nikkor with all the tubes:

p2.jpg

I'm pretty stoked.

I was getting ready to spend some cash on a lens, but in the end just needed a set of extension tubes. They're available for all cameras, in all price ranges. I went with Kenko, they were of good quality, but all three still less than one from Canon.

The way it works is they move the lens further from the sensor, which allows you to get closer to the subject. If you equal it out, 55mm of extension with a 55mm lens, it acts as 'life size', meaning it focuses as if the object was touching the sensor. Not bad and still needs some playing around with, but I'm in the game now.

Just have to build something.

Sorry about the troubles Jeff. I'll take a look to see what the problem was. Likely some spam filter between here and there got the reset email.

Interesting Jeff, i used to use tubes on my film cameras but now i am digital i bought a 135 Nikor with macro a while back and at 135 makes a good portrait lens and a good macro as well.

DSC_6461_01.JPG

The problem is of course that with models that look excellent to the naked eye, a macro can be your worst enemy :)

Interesting Jeff, i used to use tubes on my film cameras but now i am digital i bought a 135 Nikor with macro a while back and at 135 makes a good portrait lens and a good macro as well.

View attachment 132760

The problem is of course that with models that look excellent to the naked eye, a macro can be your worst enemy :)
agreed

Back