• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Well Question ?

AndyFettes

Master at Arms
Would this type of well have been free standing or could this type of well have been located up against a wall ?

It really doesnt matter either way just I was curious :)

both is possible - standalone and against a wall! i've seen wells of that type in italy in both kind of ... "setup"

andyfettes wrote:
Would this type of well have been free standing or could this type of well have been located up against a wall ?

It really doesnt matter either way just I was curious :)

This is the well it was based on.
st-marie-du-mont-ofuntain-sept-2009-n-for-normandy.jpg

James

Pretty sure you have to operate it to get water from it MP.

B)

You know, using that rusty stuff sticking out of the side, above that wooden access door which probably hides the mechanics of the thing, I'm willing to bet they didn't have a 90 GPM stainless steel submersible pump in there...

just sayin'

:peace

I thought these were Artesian springs, they never stopped unless the ground water dropped.

It may be an artisan well in that picture but that access door and the rusty rod and stuff must do something no? Perhaps divert/cut off the flow? Otherwise, wouldn't it simply flood the street and ground levels/basements of buildings around it since there is no catch basin/drain?

A natural spring isn't always effected by the water table, you can have perched aquifers well above the water table locked in bedrock or clay. Not sure what your highways look like down there mang but up here, you can drive through sections of rock that has been blasted away and see water seeping out of the rock face twenty or thirty feet above the road.

andyfettes wrote:
perched aquifers ? :idonno

LOL! Sorry Andy :blush:

let me see if this is easier:

Picture your bathtub is filled half way up with water, now pour in some dirt and rocks above that waterline to represent the ground, the height of the water remaining below the surface represents the water table.

Now at one end of the tub, make a big hill or mountain by piling it up even higher, somewhere in the top of that mountain bury a small soup bowl. This soup bowl represents a pocket of something impermeable, like bedrock or clay etc.

When you turn on the shower, which represents rain, most of the water will find it's was through the soil and level off at the water table. That soup bowl however will hold the water up above the water table.

Now, there is a pinhole, or a crack in that soup bowl, this represents a natural spring as the soup bowl drains through that crack, high above the water table.

Viola, a 'perched aquifer'

:D

artesian_diagram_1_20100904_1673077030.jpg

Ken Abrams wrote:
Not sure what your highways look like down there mang but up here, you can drive through sections of rock that has been blasted away and see water seeping out of the rock face twenty or thirty feet above the road.

Highways? Oh you mean those fancy roads yous guys have up dar with the fancy tared gravel...down here our roads just turn to mud...haven't you seen Dukes of Hazzard? They ain't no paved roads down here!

Kidding aside, the area I live in has springs all over the place. They come and go, some times they go so long folks forget about them, like the one down town in the middle of main street... :woohoo:

moon puppy wrote:
Highways? Oh you mean those fancy roads yous guys have up dar with the fancy tared gravel...down here our roads just turn to mud...haven't you seen Dukes of Hazzard? They ain't no paved roads down here!

lol, that's not what I meant at all Bo Duke...

I meant: are they flat for miles on end with fields flanking them, or like here, do the cut through the hills and mountains rather than go over them.

:huh:

A little of both. I'm an hour from the mountains and 3 hours from the beach. Our location is the Piedmont section, foothills but the area I live in is actually a small plateau, but generally hilly area.

I've driven from from Manchester NH down to Amesbury Mass. and found that the territory is about the same as ours, except our country side is spread out but several hundred miles.

But yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about. :mpup

I got it, cheers Ken

Wife caught me with the wheelbarrow in the hall, so I didnt make it to the bathtub :(

Figured this was the place for questions since the knowledge is here ;) I have the well together...and was wondering about the water. In the depression below the spouts, would there be a drain? Or did this just spill over the basin??

Back