• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Websites for Figure bases ?

AndyFettes

Master at Arms
Hello,

Does anyone have any experience with good websites for figure bases ?

I usually do 54mm or there abouts

Andy :)

Andy,

what is it that you are looking for exactly? Simple stained and clear coated wooden bases to mount figures on, something finished the same but also with groundwork, or some sort of plaster/hydrocal/resin piece to paint up?

I dont know what they are like to deal with but I have these tagged for future projects

http://www.ilmodellismo-fe.com/c.asp?c=Figurini/Basi/Accessori__Basi_legno_&i=171_204
http://www.soga-miniatures.com/index.php?categoryID=844
http://www.andrea-miniatures.com/market/AspsProductos/listado.asp?IdColeccion=408
http://www.sockelshop.de/catalog/figure-bases-c-61.html?osCsid=5cd91b816333a7b692ed4d9efa998987

and this fellow only has an email addy
[email protected]

hth
James

Hi ken,

Yes just the wooden stained and finished bases right now suitable for 54mm / 1.35th scale single figures

Thankyou for those links Dio and Jk, I shall peruse in due course ( ere aint I speaking well posh tonight ) :D

Connie from Germany is really nice to deal with. Has some nice tutorials on his site.
Andy you can try Ken Thomas. He has fantastic bases you just need to let him know what you are looking for. It is a ken thomas base on my Blackbeard. There are several links at Planet figure for bases.
Cheers
John

andyfettes wrote:
Hi ken,

Yes just the wooden stained and finished bases right now suitable for 54mm / 1.35th scale single figures

Thankyou for those links Dio and Jk, I shall peruse in due course ( ere aint I speaking well posh tonight ) :D

Hi there.

Here in town there is a Senior centre I can join for about $25.00 a year. That gives me access to a woodworking shop with all that is needed to cut out and polish and finish bases. If you are not a senior and their is a centre near you perhaps you could go there and have someone make EXACTLY what you want.

Cheers from Peter

andyfettes wrote:
Hi ken,

Hi there.

If you go to the craft section of a dollar store (or any other store with a craft section) they often have small unfinished wood bases that are ideal for figures. I sometimes get the larger oval plaques for my models. ALl you need to do is stain or paint them and apply the clear coat. Future makes a great clear coat.

Cheers again from Peter

Hi John and Tankbuilder,

Thankyou for that info,... Ill check out the websites and mr Thomas and his bases

Ive done the 5th NY Z on a 99cent base from Hobbylobby stained at mo and then future next,.. it looks quite good :)

John at the MMSI chciago show there was a chap doing bases there for about $12 but cant remember who they were I quite like them and are perfect for my novice figgies ?

andyfettes wrote:
there was a chap doing bases there for about $12 but cant remember who they were I quite like them and are perfect for my novice figgies ?

Wow, $12.00 a pop?

I was thinking around $6.00-$8.00 a piece for a single, Mahogany figure base and was afraid that was too expensive. I asked my initial question in this thread because I have a wood shop and have made bases for people in the past but I figured shipping costs would negate any chance of it being cost effective for you so I never offered.

I can make any size and have many router bit profiles, I am offering to help you out as a friend and not for profit but again, the shipping may make it a moot point. I could make a size you're interested in, weigh it and get a shipping quote just for the heck of it if you'd like? This is Mahogany and I also have Black Walnut as well as more common stuff like Oak and Maple, (all of which would be priced differently as Black Walnut is quite rare compared to say Oak).

100_2287_20100524_2051798073.jpg

moon puppy wrote:
SWEET! Router, the tool I have to have but have no need whatsoever. That and a scroll saw.

B)

My router is a big'n, mounted in one side of my table saw, you wouldn't want to take it out and use it by hand. It might walk away with you depending on the bit size.

I get this lumber in rough sawn, 5/4 condition. I run it through the thickness planer and can usually end up with a one inch finish thickness, which is nice and beefy as opposed to 'normal' 3/4 inch finish stock.

What can we do to keep wood from warping when we use it as a base? I"ve only done one once, it was pretty shameful attempt. I smeared drywall joint compound and started building up the ground work from there by painting it and other stuff. When the compound dried the wood started curling up towards that side and warped badly.

I know there is something I should have done to prep the wood before plastering it, any ideas?

I'm going to assume you put the compound on the wood in a raw condition and what happened was that the wood drew the moisture into that side causing the grain to swell on that side only, in turn causing the curl. You should have sealed the wood with a few coats of some type of coating, like a polyurethane or something similar, as this would have locked out any moisture.

Having said that, large bases should be made from something more stable like plywood for instance, with trim around its perimeter since large pieces of plain sawn lumber can still curve with the grain over time. You can also use quarter sawn lumber or something made up of several pieces joined together with opposing grain directions.

Hey Ken, wow they certainly do look awesome :)

Your prices are pretty competitive seeing as bases on website are much more expensive plus P&P

Well at the moment I am definately in the market for about 4 bases (all single figures in 54mm)

Size of the top of the base would be around 4cm x 4cm (thats for the actual display portion)
I wouldnt mind what sizes the routered sections would be.

Another quick question is that could you or do you do a pedastel base as well?

I wouldnt mind at all if you made a bit of profit on the bases after all its your time and effort going into these :)

What do you think shipping would be to Chicago from where you are?

Cheers mate

Andy

Chicago? :blink

Andy, why did I think you lived overseas? Shipping here within the states is no problem at all, forget what I said about that. :duh

Yes, I can do pedestals, any particular design out there that catches your eye?

Let me convert those cm to inches and see what I come up with (off the top of my head it's just a bit over 1 1/2" by 1 1/2") and maybe post up a couple more pictures of some other types I've made as well.

:D

Yes please Ken Id love to see some picamatures (to quote our boss of pinkness)

I think the confusion is that Im an Englishman living in the US :)
Although the natives here think Im an Australian :(

Back