• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Universal Carrier MK I "Katie" - Riich Models 1/35

Hi guys
I'm very happy to present my last wip, it's a Universal Carrier in 1/35 scale from Riich Models.
It's a very detailed kit, with over 500 pieces, in grey styrene, with 3 plate in PE, metallic details , clear parts and a very impressive crews of 3 member. Decals for 4 different tank.
The istructions , a book of many pages, are very detailed.

I have detailed the engine with some parts in scratch , after seen various photos (also with the suggestions from this forum) on the web and the I have cut one panel of inspection for to see the interior engine compartment.

ridotta_9.jpg

ridotta_8.jpg

see more : wip

Comments and criticism are welcomed.

Regards
Mike

Looking good. If you need a picture of anything that you havent found yet let me know and I'll see if I have the info for you.
James

Hi guys

engine ready to paint...

256emft.jpg

I will paint the engine with vallejo air metallic colours, what is the better base coat for this colours?
Suggestions are welcome.
:popcorn

bye
mike

Excellent details, Mike! It's hard to go wrong with a black base coat, Model Air will cover it and the black adds shadows in places you can't get to later. (y) :drinks

Hi guys
thank you for responses , I like it!

This is the my first engine to detail, I see more and more photos ,and sometimes the confusion is very easy. In more photos are visibible differents details, this because many example are restoretion many various between they.

Hi Iron Mike
your suggestion it's very valuable. I have searched on the web and I have seen some tutorials and all suggestion black base coat for metallic colours.
Today I have made my first paint with this colours.
After some failed attempts (problem with high dilution ) , I have found this results.

30bmm87.jpg

My idea is a base with a light colour (steel ?) on all the engine and after a heavy weatering with oil and grease....

What do you think ?

bye bye
mike

Hi guys
thank you for responses , I like it!

This is the my first engine to detail, I see more and more photos ,and sometimes the confusion is very easy. In more photos are visibible differents details, this because many example are restoretion many various between they.

Hi Iron Mike
your suggestion it's very valuable. I have searched on the web and I have seen some tutorials and all suggestion black base coat for metallic colours.
Today I have made my first paint with this colours.
After some failed attempts (problem with high dilution ) , I have found this results.

30bmm87.jpg

My idea is a base with a light colour (steel ?) on all the engine and after a heavy weatering with oil and grease....

What do you think ?

bye bye
mike

For the engine block, think the Black Metal would be better IMHO. Never seen that color, will look out for it.

Sure nuff, you need to be careful about what you find on the internet. Modern restorations are not a good guide to go on if you're looking for accuracy.

I do wonder though, would the engine not also be painted? It's rare that I have seen an engine that was not painted for protection from rust.

For the engine block, think the Black Metal would be better IMHO. Never seen that color, will look out for it.

Sure nuff, you need to be careful about what you find on the internet. Modern restorations are not a good guide to go on if you're looking for accuracy.

I do wonder though, would the engine not also be painted? It's rare that I have seen an engine that was not painted for protection from rust.

Moon Puppy, thank you for fast response.

Your consideration it true, but I don't have sufficient picture of WWII engines in colour for a correct replication.
Modern restorations are low reliable.

The Metal Black it's a possible, but it's too brillant , not is uniform, the final effect it is not realistic.

A idea could be a base coat of silver or alluminium or steel, a layer of laquer and the final varnish of gun grey more black, with the laquer effect will be visible the base coat alluminium under a dark protettive varnish...... :hmmm :hmmm

mike

I'm at work right now, but will check my books when I get home. Aluminum would probably be best (I like the Tamiya Aluminum. Then a wash with burnt sienna and black oil and I think you would have a nice dark stained heated look. But I'll check and let you know.
James

I'm at work right now, but will check my books when I get home. Aluminum would probably be best (I like the Tamiya Aluminum. Then a wash with burnt sienna and black oil and I think you would have a nice dark stained heated look. But I'll check and let you know.
James

Thank you James for support.

For you, the idea of my last post, it's realisable ?

It might be a good compromise ...

mike

The Metal Black it's a possible, but it's too brillant , not is uniform, the final effect it is not realistic.

Probably so but by the time you grease and oil it up it would be knocked down a good bit. Might be worth a test shot on some scrap to see how it would look.

A idea could be a base coat of silver or alluminium or steel, a layer of laquer and the final varnish of gun grey more black, with the laquer effect will be visible the base coat alluminium under a dark protettive varnish...... :hmmm :hmmm

mike

Sounds good to me. :coolio

I cant find a lot to help you Mike, but this pic looks like the engine may have been black.
For discussion purposes only from Universal Carriers Volume 2.

DSC03788s.jpg

James

Hi guys
after long time I return to upload new photos of Universal Carrier.
The engine was painted with metallic paint Vallejo, a coat of future and when dry a new coat of hairspray and at end a Black nato from tamiya. After few minutes I have make the paint chips with a hard brush and tiepid water.
Now for complete the weatering is necessary a oil treatment , between the engine area on tank.
j9mr2c.jpg

the no.19 radio set it's in position for the photo.
The wires are completed, with exclusion of headphone and mic. and the ground wire.

5vou1k.jpg

In this phase it's very important to verify the istructions for not forgetting little details, there are a lots!
This kit it's very complicated but is also a jewel.

A surprise will be installed on this tank, stay tuned....

bye
Mike

Back