• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Trumpeter PT-76 Mod 1951

Moon Puppy, I don't want to get to far a head just in case there is a cool paint scheme option in the decals.

So up until the brass this is a fun little kit. Trumpeter really needs to re-work their thought process. James Knaus lent me the Wings and Wheels publications on the PT-76 family. From what I can tell the light guards are made out of tubular material and the brass is flat. Also fitting flat brass in to round locator pins is odd at best. I know I'm not very good a brass as I hardly work with it, but definately room for improvement. For the hand rail around the turret I used my own wire which was a little smaller in diameter and appears to be more accurate. The wire goes around 3/4 of the turret but dosen't line up as advertised so creative bending (Field Modes) made the wire fit.

James

Primer_1.JPG

rear_Primer_1.JPG

I found out that the decals I ordered can still be another 2-3 weeks so I'm going with the good old standard Russian paint scheme, Green. The picture is the Pt-76 fresh from the paint booth, I tried modulating the Russian Green with adding dark grey to the green for the underside and light gray was added to the green for second coat on the vehicle topside. Tracks and road wheels are primed and not far behind. Now just waiting for the decals to arrive.

James

PT-76_painted.JPG

Between work, exhaustion, family and volunteering I managed to get some modeling in this week. It is coming along slowly but I will get there.

James

pt-76_11_Mar.JPG

Thanks everyone

The Russian Naval infantry decals for the PT-76 are very nice and where hassle free when placing them, plus add a bit more colour to the vehicle than the trumpeter supplied decals. Now to add the tracks, pioneer tools, some weathering and I should be done before too long.

James

pt-76_mar_16.JPG

Thank you everyone

It has been a couple of days since I posted anything, I had a terrible time with the tracks as they are about 1/2 - 1 cm short in length. It took some wrestling and creativty but I managed to get both sets and I just started weather the vehicle. From what I have seen in reference photo's is that the lower hull gets pretty muddy but the upper hull seems to get fairly clean. So more work and I'm hoping by the end of Easter I'll be happy enough to put it up on the self.

James :cheer:

pt76_24_mar.JPG

Back