• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tom's StuG IV

tomwes

Here's the start of my StuG

firstfigure013.jpg

011.jpg

Starting on the zimmerit

StuGIV008.jpg

StuGIV007-1.jpg

StuGIV006-1.jpg

The detail on the resin piece isn't as good as the kit part so it won't be used.

StuGIV005-1.jpg

StuGIV021.jpg

StuGIV020.jpg

StuGIV019.jpg

StuGIV009-1.jpg

StuGIV006-2.jpg

StuGIV009-2.jpg

StuGIV004-3.jpg

I need to get back on this!!

Tom

Hi Tom,

The stug is coming along nicely .
Looks like a good build so far.

Look forward to seeing more .

Cheers
Michael :)

Well, can't believe I have pissed away so much time not working on this, pulled it out today and cemented top and bottom together and started on the road wheels. Got a long ways to go on this. :idonno :idonno

001-10.jpg

002-6.jpg

003-5.jpg

005-4.jpg

004-6.jpg

Tom

It's good to see you back on this one, Tom, the zimm looks great! Can't wait to see more! :ro:

Thanks guys, yesterday I realized I made a fairly big mistake on this, when I was assembling this I used the wrong part for the top of this so some modifications need to be made. First the hinges for the doors are in the wrong spot

002-7.jpg

I shaved the hinges off and repositioned them to match up with the doors

005-5.jpg

003-6.jpg

004-7.jpg

Next to do is remove the five cylinderical posts from the corners and center of top plate and remove the air vent? from in front of the doors.

001-11.jpg

Tom

Finally got to the painting stage, first time using Lifecolor paints....a little bit of a learning curve for me since I have used Model Master enamels since I got back in the hobby 5 years ago. I did use enamel for my primer coat though.

002-10.jpg

004-9.jpg

001-15.jpg

004-9.jpg

This StuG should have a striped camo pattern and after practicing with the Lifecolor on my test mule I could not get a decent thin spray pattern so I brush-painted the stripes. Hopefully they look like a rushed field applied camo pattern. :unsure: :unsure:

007-2.jpg

005-6.jpg

008-3.jpg

006-4.jpg

And with the side armor

009-4.jpg

010-4.jpg

And with a light overspray of the base color

011-4.jpg

012-3.jpg

013-3.jpg

014-2.jpg

And to be honest, I don't know if I like this or not....I'll look at it for a couple of days and see if it grows on me :ermm:

All comments welcome.
Thanks, Tom

The over spray toned the camo down in my opinion, I like what you've done. I have no experience with the Lifecolors, but the shades look right to me. Keep on keepin' on!

Thanks for the comments Iron Mike, Mike and Bob. I did an oil wash of raw umber over the StuG:

001-16.jpg

002-11.jpg

003-10.jpg

004-10.jpg

005-7.jpg

Road wheels and sprockets have been done also, still waiting on the Fruilmodel tracks I ordered on Jan. 27th :angry: :angry: :angry:

Tom

Tom,
Sweet, Sweet, Sweet.
I've got a bunch of Zis-3 Cannons all hunkered down and waiting
for you to finish... :evil: :evil: :evil:
I'll even take the gun shields off if you want to make them
harder to see. :huh: :eek:hmy:
Great build so far, love the zim and paint job. Looks great.
Shawn

Thanks Shawn and Ruben, received my Fruilmodel tracks yesterday after waiting exactly one month so will be working on those today.

Tom

Thanks everyone, continuing on I have mounted the road gear and tracks.....I thought that I had the correct length for the tracks but after I put them on it looks like I have too much sag to them.

001.jpg

003.jpg

I will somehow figure out how to take a link or two out of the tracks.

002.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

I managed to remove a link from each run of tracks and put them back on, one link wasn't quite enough and two was too many! :pinch:

I wasn't happy how the camo on the shurtzen looked so I stripped the paint off and started over, I think they look better now. All tools have been mounted and I added weathering with CMK Stardust pigments mixed with 91% isopropyl alcohol and sprayed through my airbrush. This is the part of armor building that I have no idea what I'm doing, I think I over did it.

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

012.jpg

That's what I have so far, please all comments and criticism welcome :)

Tom

I'm really liking this build, Tom! How would you describe your experience with Life Colors? I like the result, were they easy to use, would you do it again, clean up? Nice work!! (y)

Back