• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

tire damage

kryptosdaddy

I'm building my first race car- It's a gift so I'm not gonna mess with it, but later i want to build a car for ME and I want to punish it. lol

tirerubmobile4-9-05.jpg

I call this tire rub- sorry i couldnt find a better pic.

Any of you guys or gals come up with a way to replicate this? When i try it I'll start from the rear and come halfway up the side, make the damage real.

I thought about just finishing the kit and taking a rubber tire and setting it in a drill and just rub the damage into the paint and decals, but there tires are what? 300 degrees? Just wondering about getting the melt onto the car. Thanks. CR

I'm just taking a punt, what about putting black paint on the rubber tyre and then trying the drill method, even try it on a scrapper first using both semi wet and dried black paint.

you wouldn't need to press hard into the side panels and on the decals either, looking at the damage in the pic, it does look like black paint a bit.

I think Phil is right, trying to rub it in scale would probably be disastrous to a styrene body. I'd use an acrylic paint, like Apple Barrel craft stuff, put it on a scrap tire and sort of stamp the circles down the side. The advantage to the acrylic is it's water based so you can wash it off if you don't like it and the stuff is sort of rubbery went fresh, just like a tire. Cheap too. :laugh:

Nah you'll be right! just have a few practice goes on a flat plastic card or old car kit and get the feel for how hard/long to press the spinning tyre on the panel.

Krypto,
I did this years ago, check my FOTKI site below. I chucked a tire in a drill & used flat black paint to replicate tire damage. Hope this helps!!!

Back