• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tiger's with wheels missing

Bucket

I am building a late Tiger in 1/35, and want to have one or two wheels removed. Has anyone got a close up picture of the wheel hub with wheel removed. The only clear pictures I have found are of early models. Otherwise, does anyone know if an after market hub is available :unsure:

Greetings and Salutations Bucket

Tank Workshop do the hubs, the outer wheels on Tigers were removed for rail transport and you would need the hubs to depict that.

Also Tigers on the eastern front often had the front outer wheel removed to prevent mud build-up jamming the drive sprocket when the mud froze.

How many wheels were you looking to lose?

Simon

Yeah , I am pretty sure Model Kasten do the hubs also as they sell the transport tracks . the hinged flaps on the guards were hinged so as not to protrude over the edge of the rail cars , the side guards were removed also .

There are heaps of picamatures of the trains on rail cars and these will show the detail you are looking for . I will try and find some for you .

Jenny :kiss:

Thanks gents, I checked out the Tank Workshop, and as per the pictures, the hubs shown are for and on early tigers. These have a hollow centre in the hub....the late Tiger seem to have sealed centres.

TIGER20Domus20Inc_20www_rctank_jp.jpg
Sorry Jenny,I missed your suggestion....Above is a model of a late tiger, showing the hubs on a late tiger.

Yo , Bucket , .......... hope these help , .......... yeah I know , the last one's a Panther , .......... but I still thought it was a cool pic ............

pullingofatiger1wheel.jpg

tigerpicture.jpg

Berlin Tiger ............

berlintigeri1945.jpg

vehicle_panzervi137.jpg

vehicle_panzervi142.jpg

vehicle_panzervi139-1.jpg

Bhhbv2kKGrHqIH-CwEsK6LghiMBLJh5iJGg_3.jpg

Sorry for the delay , okay I looked but could not find the image you wanted ....... because the late tiger with steel wheels worked on a different suspension layout than the rubber tyred system . Instead of each suspension arm having three seperate road wheels they now have two , these were wider , having the same surface width as the three original roadwheels but without the inherant freezing problems , the wheels while having the same width sat closer to the hull , this design was on purpose so the outer road wheels did not sit outside the width of the hull and therefore did not need to be removed for transport .
Obviously changing tracks was still required but the wheels could stay on making it a far simpler process to change from transport to combat configuration.

So in summary , the outer roadwheels were not removed in practice on the steel wheel variant , only time would be during maintenance .

Jenny :kiss:

Back