• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

This is Only a TEST !

panzerace007

1274446068wyBf0U.jpeg

This is Only a Test ......

I wanted to test out this Theory I have of shooting a Car entirely of ALClad .. I'm sure It's nothing New & I'm not trying to Re-Invent th Wheel .... But I'm gonna paint a car - ICM's Opel Admiral (1/35th scale) with Alclad & see how it goes ....

So , I needed a test subject ...... I grabbed ( probably not the best test subject) the Turret off of My Paint Hog - it has several layers of paint on it & I could've prepped it a lil' better .. but I just wanted an Idea ....

1) I shot some ALClad Black Primer/Polyfiller - 2 coats. - buffed it on the top a little with 12,000 sanding pad.
2) Gloss Black Base - 2 coats
3) Chrome - 2 coats - misted

All colors were painted at 15 psi . The Gloss Black base - on th label suggested allowing 30 min./ between coats & only 24 hours for total cure. I actually gave it 3 days .... to insure against th Black from shrinking & cracking th Chrome.

Pimp Ma' Tiger I .....

DSC08126.JPG

DSC08131.JPG

One thing I did notice .. since th Chrome didn't get all th way down into th loader's hatch .. it looks like it has a    Black wash accentuating th crevasses & such .... or is that Me ?

DSC08129.JPG

Yes , being a Paint Hog it also got a coat of Zimmerit some years ago made from Squadron Putty :D

So I'll let this simmer & will add a couple of coats of th Aqua Gloss & th Transparent Red & post .
* Sorry I didn't take any pix of th Turret when it had th primer or th Gloss base !

I don't think you're going to get high shine you're looking for with the surface like it is right now. that forward top part needs some more sanding. Tellin' ya bud, that surface has to be glass finish to start with.

I don't think you're going to get high shine you're looking for with the surface like it is right now. that forward top part needs some more sanding. Tellin' ya bud, that surface has to be glass finish to start with.

That is positively correct. Paint doesn't hide anything.

MOONIE,

No doubt , I heed your words. Like I mentioned .. It's probably not th best test subject. I probably shoulda' used a Sheet of Styrene.

I'll break out th sanding pads. What should I start with ? I'm not lookin to sand it down & start all over again .. It was just a test to check out how th AlClad goes on & how clear th surface needs to be. This was a "Paint Hog" & had a few coats of rough paint on it to begin with. This actually has a lot of Shine to it. I dumb-downed th pix so they would look O.K. on th screen.

The Real Deal Prep etc will begin with Ze Cabriolet .

Here an UpDate - I've shot 3 coats of th Transparent Red on it & I taped it off with 3M's Blue Painter's Tape with No ill Fx to th Chrome . I just wanted to shoot th transparent Red on to see how th coverage was gonna be. I'm sure with a lil' Buffing on this Red it would bring it out to a fine Shine !! I might go a lil'lighter on th coats when it comes to th car ???

DSC08226.JPG

DSC08226_2.JPG

DSC08228.JPG

DSC08229.JPG

:drinks

ANDY,

Exactly !!! I might just go ahead & get a Tiger out ( I have a few Tamiya Tigers in th stash ) & Pimp it out !! Chrome Road Wheels, Barrel etc ... set it up on th Show Car circuit !!

I don't see any Lcd screens! there must be Lcd screens on a pimped panzer :D
I think it looks good, a little difficult to see on a surface like that but i think it will look great on a car! :)
//Mats

Here an UpDate - I've shot 3 coats of th Transparent Red on it & I taped it off with 3M's Blue Painter's Tape with No ill Fx to th Chrome . I just wanted to shoot th transparent Red on to see how th coverage was gonna be. I'm sure with a lil' Buffing on this Red it would bring it out to a fine Shine !! I might go a lil'lighter on th coats when it comes to th car ???

DSC08226.JPG

DSC08226_2.JPG

DSC08228.JPG

DSC08229.JPG

Really interesting effect. :popcorn

Did you sand and polish the base coat? I think if you had you would have had the deep shine you're looking for.

MOONIE,

I could only really buff a little bit of th Turret Roof. Th 12,000 buff pad that I had really couldn't get to all th nooks & crannies. How well do you think a Buffer Wheel in a Dremel will do ? I'll try that tomorrow - On Low. If you look at th Loader's Hatch - I actually glued that Closed when I started & it's never seen paint except for th AlClad & that looks really Shiny & Smooth. The Car WIll be different - as It'll be Virgin Plastic & Prepped really well !!

I just wanted to get a feel for th AlClad & what to expect. I love th AlClad ! I can't wait to shoot it on th Car !!

@ BAGGE - Oh ... You wait ... There's a Tamiya Tiger In My Stash that's Screamin' to get Pimped !!! Screens & All !!!

MOONIE,

I could only really buff a little bit of th Turret Roof. Th 12,000 buff pad that I had really couldn't get to all th nooks & crannies. How well do you think a Buffer Wheel in a Dremel will do ? I'll try that tomorrow - On Low. If you look at th Loader's Hatch - I actually glued that Closed when I started & it's never seen paint except for th AlClad & that looks really Shiny & Smooth. The Car WIll be different - as It'll be Virgin Plastic & Prepped really well !!

I just wanted to get a feel for th AlClad & what to expect. I love th AlClad ! I can't wait to shoot it on th Car !!

@ BAGGE - Oh ... You wait ... There's a Tamiya Tiger In My Stash that's Screamin' to get Pimped !!! Screens & All !!!

I wouldn't be to worried about getting in the nooks and crannies. you're just testing the theory here. I think the key is getting the plastic as smooth as possible and the primer. I got the roof of the Ford Fairlane to play with, we'll see what we can do with it. Just to play with.

Back