• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Next Generation!

sharkman

Master at Arms
Not what some of you are probably thinking!

The past couple weeks I really should have been working on the Mavis more to finish up for CTA III but another project has taken my interest.

This is my daughter Beth. She is 5, and on a trip to the hobby store with me she asked if she could get a kit to build like her daddy. You can see she chose Meng Kids Tu-2 Bomber.

She immediately wanted to start it but we did have to hold off for a couple days. Then when we were ready, she dove into it.

Trimming the clear parts

sanding

painting the props

teaching her the usefullness of tools

painting bombs

She wanted to learn how to mask as she has seen me do it. I gave her the tape and she did a great job. I just helped her cut it with a knife after.

painting the landing gear

She decided to do her own theme, so I gave her my test mule to try out her paint choices. Obviously, her favourite colours are pink and purple.

then on to the real thing

her finished props (I think she could give me a good run for my money)

finished nacelles

two tone body!

assembling the nacelles

I let her raid my decal stash and she picked out quite a few that she liked. These mostly involved felines! I think this was her favourite part!

The finished product! The "5" is because she is 5 years old!

All I helped her with was guidance and cutting a little with the knife (oh and spraying a primer coat with a Tamiya spray bomb). I'm so impressed with what she built, I might even have to throw in the towel!

She is very excited to come with me to the local hobby show this year, she is going to enter in the juniors category. I hope she does well!
She certainly gets Best of Show in my books!

B) (one proud father)

Awesome. I always like seeing the young ones get into the hobby. I think my daughter was the only one who tried building and she only did a couple. I made some decals for James' (Maus) grand daughter and I think I have the file still. I could modify it a bit and send you a sheet if you are interested.
James

You have every reason to be proud dad! She did such a magnificent job! I do hope she keeps going and building with you. After a few years, if she's still with it, you could bring her to a Nationals someday! She would be a big hit there!

Way to go Beth! That is a beautiful plane! You did better masking the windows than I ever do!

Hey, thanks everyone!

I read each and every comment to Beth and she really felt special! She really does want to start another right away! I'll get her to respond herself this week.

James, I mentioned your offer to her of the decal sheet and her response was, "YES!!!"

:)

:notworthy (y) :pilot

Fantastic job!
What a spectacular effort. Wow! Great build Beth.

I tried to get my sons into it and they only did about 1\4 of a page of a Tamiya kit.
I think you have hit the button with a Meng kids kit.
She is even masking too! She's already a legend.
:dude B) :laugh:

Ian.

Thanks Ian!

Beth has been working hard on her second plane, an F-16. She is very excited about the show this weekend. She almost can't contain herself. It's fun to see!

Here's a few shots!

:mpup :love

Back