• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The most realistic model weathering ever....

matrixone

Here are the results of my long term weathering experiment.

As I build more and better models some of the old finished models need to be disposed of to make room for the new builds, instead of just throwing them away I saved two of them for a weathering experiment where the models will be placed outside for a full year to see how long decals and model paint would hold up exposed to the elements.
Both models sat with the right side facing the sun and the left sides were in shade.

I selected two models for this experiment, one is the old 1960's era 1/72 scale Revell Me 262 painted and marked as a KG(j)54 machine 'yellow 3', the other is a Pro-Modeler 1/48 scale Bf 110G-2 marked as 'red 5' of an unknown unit.

The Bf 110G-2:

h2307a9a.JPG

hae79a0c.JPG

hc27fce1.JPG

h24eab15.JPG

h0af54b0.JPG

The Revell Me 262:

hbe446ea.JPG

h5f572fa.JPG

h41a6b07.JPG

h8893453.JPG

These models were in good condition at the start of the experiment but as you can see they are badly broken, two major wind storms had blown the models off the deck and my cat used to lay on them quite often when taking his knaps. :laugh:

Its interesting to see how the sun faded the RLM 74 and RLM 75 on the Bf 110 to the point where they almost look like RLM 76 under the spots of RLM 81, the RLM 81 held up rather well by comparison.
The Me 262 was painted in an overall coat of RLM 83 green and its faded into a nearly gray color similar to RLM 74.

If one were to paint on all the markings of a model this outdoor weathering experiment technique would look really good...just protect the model from animals and severe weather events. ;)

Matrixone

Interesting experiment (y) One would have to wonder if the original materials would fare the same.

Being different paint and all. :idonno

Cheers, Christian B)

Uau... Very good idea. :notworthy :notworthy (y) (y)

Perhaps if you wanted to test more realistically, you could ask several members of the forum who live in areas geographically representative of the different WWII conflict zones to replicate the experiment and compare the results. I would be interested in observing the differences and/or similarities in the fading.

Perhaps DioRandy could replicate the russian winter in the Midwest! :D

Cheers

Alex

Thanks for the feedback!

Bob,
Its super easy to lighten paint to represent sun fading but it does not quite capture the same effect as actual sun fading.

The inspiration for this experiment came about after looking at photographs of ex-Luftwaffe machines in post war Germany that had sat out in the open for a very long time before they were scrapped. It took a long time to collect all the aircraft and some were not scrapped until 1946. In some cases the paint on the upper surfaces of these aircraft eroded away completely and bare metal was starting to show through, when this happened it was not a case of the German paint being of low quality but instead was the result of very thinly applied coats of paint because supplies of aircraft paint were hard to get late in the war and the painters were trying to use as little paint as possible.

Matrixone

Here is a model I finished a few years ago as a derelict sun faded aircraft, kit used was on old Otaki 1/48 scale Fw 190, as you can see the sun bleached effect of the paint is not nearly as good as the sun fading on the Bf 110G-2 used in my experiment.

hbf7bb07.jpg

hc27fce1_2015-10-01.JPG

More images of the Otaki Fw 190...

hbcd9a67.jpg

h56a5d1d.jpg

h1a939be.jpg

Matrixone

Thanks for the comments!

If I were to use sun fading like what I did in this experiment on a 'good' model I would paint the model differently. I would first paint the model using Alclad II metallic paints and then very lightly spray on the camouflage over that being sure to keep the coat(s) of paint thinnest near the top of the airframe where it would receive the most exposure to the sun, by doing this the paint would hopefully fade out to almost nothing and give the illusion of paint that had eroded off the metal surfaces.
Of course the markings on such a model would have to be painted on as I found out in my experiment decals do not hold up too well after long term exposure to the elements.

BTW, my house does not get very many hours of direct sunlight each day (even in summertime) so the models were actually only getting about 4 or 5 hours of sunlight per day, no doubt if I could have had done this weathering experiment in a location that had a dry climate and more exposure to sunlight the amount of paint fading could have done in a much shorter period of time.
Also I use enamel paint so I don't know if acrylics would fade better or not as much.

Matrixone

Back