• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The kit that scares me - 1/48 GWH Sukhoi 35S - Russian Knights

White_Wolf

Master at Arms
Thanks to the forever wet state of the celluclay I am laying on the Bismarck diorama, I thought I would distract myself from the strong temptation to go ahead with the water. I thought I would do something a bit different without going crazy about it. My online provider had some kits on special, nearly half price. So, I got myself a 1/48 GWH Sukhoi 35S Russian Knights and a 1/48 GWH Mig 29 Russian swifts. I didn't even know these two were based at the same airfield and they also fly together at certain air shows, but anyway ...
The Sukhoi is a beast and, so far, it managed to scare me. After opening the box I realized what I got myself into. Here's a photo of the real deal, credit to who took it, it's spectacular.

Parked.jpg

Then, me getting some stuff done. Cockpit first, as it is always the case ...

IMG_1828a.JPG

Then the fuselage ... see the size of this beast ...

IMG_1838a.JPG

And the belly ...

IMG_1840a.JPG

The Saturn engines are something else. Lots of details, some 10 parts that will be hard to see when done.

IMG_1841a.JPG

Nozzles are again something else ... look at the real deal again ...

Nozzle.jpg

One last pic for now ...

IMG_1843a.JPG

The details are outstanding to say the least. I have not used any extras but I have something in mind for the wheels.

Well ... early days and I am moving slowly. Painting is going to be a challenge, but, this kit comes with some top notch masking, according to some who have already built it.

Fingers crossed ... thanks for watching.

Laurence

They make a nice well engineered kit, I did their Mig 29
But this takes it to the next level,a huge aircraft,should be great with those markings

They make a nice well engineered kit, I did their Mig 29
But this takes it to the next level,a huge aircraft,should be great with those markings
That is so true, big bird and the details are fantastic - I'm gonna need another display cabinet.

Laurence

I think 1/72 SU-27 and SU-35 kits are WAY to big. I wouldn't dare touching this monster.

That being said, what a nice work. And what a gorgeous picture in the beginning. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Alex

Alex, the two planes you mentioned are about the same size, if not slightly longer than the Savoia Marchetti you just finished. Ask me how I know. LOL! I think you could easily do one of those planes.

Right, while the "water" on the Bismarck is taking it's sweet time to dry, more work being done on this beast.

Primer done and wheel bays painted a shade of grey called light sea gull - Vallejo.

IMG_1849a.JPG

Have to redo some areas, they are a bit too black. The engines will remain black, awaiting some aluminium - Vallejo. Ton of work to do on weathering those two Saturn beasts.

IMG_1850a.JPG

The knife should give an idea how big this thing is. Same story here, more white needed.

Nozzle time - three big pieces, all made of many smaller ones, except one, the big "ring". Primed and painted on the inside.

IMG_1851a.JPG

In the parked position, the nozzles have to be positioned properly - angled down and towards the center line - 12.5 degrees / 8 degrees. Well, best effort, won't go nuts measuring them.

Struts are probably the one thing (three actually) that deserve more detail. For such an elaborate kit, this is a let down. But, copper wires can do the trick. And some PE leftovers.

IMG_1856a.JPG

Just the front wheel for now, the side one came out blurry, will take a better one soon.

This is it for now, more work soon, once I lay another batch of celluclay on the Bismarck.

Thanks for watching,

Laurence

Sheesh!! That IS a big aircraft. Never knew that it was that big. Good lookin' build so far.
Thank you :notworthy. Yes, it is big and I have another one, the Mig 29 but that is a bit smaller. More about that one later.

Started painting this huge thing, blue first.

IMG_1864a.JPG

This is after peeling a lot of the masking off and still more to be removed. Some imperfections near the engines, but that will be covered when I do them.
The masking and instructions provided ....masking is great but it doesn't quite fit so I had to compensate for that. Not a big deal, they seem a bit too short in places. Two sheets of masking and instructions below.

IMG_1861a.JPG

Could have used better instructions but it's all good.

Thanks for watching, more to come soon, I hope.

Laurence

Wow, that's the first time I've seen such an extensive supply of masks for a plane! They are certainly making this look magnificent, along with your incredible skills at compensating for the inaccuracies of the masks. I can't tell where any issues were. Way to go!

Wow, that's the first time I've seen such an extensive supply of masks for a plane! They are certainly making this look magnificent, along with your incredible skills at compensating for the inaccuracies of the masks. I can't tell where any issues were. Way to go!
Thanks Mark, appreciate it. Masking provided is certainly great, the thing is, some strips are not long enough. Well, more work for me, yay.

Right, more masking, yay. (sarcasm here) - easier than the masking on the Bismarck I must admit, but still ...

IMG_1865a.JPG

Still some red to go in, a thin stripe right near the big blue area. Masking in place for that one. The masking near the canopy is to correct some stupidity of me. Should have covered the whole darn thing with paper towel when painting the belly, but nope, didn't and some light blue found its' way onto the upper fuselage :bang head. The Saturn engines are painted using Gunmetal from Vallejo, but sooooooo much more to do on those. I will do it without putting the whole lot together, so I can have easy access to everything that needs weathering.

IMG_1868a.JPG

Some dry fitting, makes me feel better looking at it. Red stripes (decals) will go in on the tails and upper fuselage. That should be fun to align. If not, well, more masking, yay again and red paint.

IMG_1869a.JPG

The belly done, but for some painting of the stuff in and around the wheel bays. And minor touch ups.

IMG_1870a.JPG

Thanks for watching.

Laurence

Zoom in and there ... details galore loving it, won't see most of them unless I find some laser cut mirror-like bases I bought 10 years ago, good luck to me finding them in one of the less than 100 boxes I have in the garage.

Back